FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stopping an object in motion

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Redmond
Stopping an object in motion
on Dec 4, 2008 at 7:25:16 pm

I need to create an effect in maya where a billiard cue hits a ball, and the motion of the movement causes the other balls to hit each other and simulate the opening break of a game of 9 ball. I had no problem creating the balls and cues, and giving them the proper passive/ active bodies. I could not however get the motion of the cue right. I tried using uniform or radial motions to make the cue strike the ball, but it would keep moving forward even once it struck the cue ball. Is there a way to make it stop or reverse direction once it makes contact. Or is there an easier way to do this entirely?

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Stopping an object in motion
on Dec 6, 2008 at 4:19:20 pm

I would definitely recommend making the cue stick a passive rigid body, not an active one. Then you can animate it by keyframe exactly how you want.

Also note that objects can be keyframed between being passive and active--but only in the channel box, not the Attribute editor (the 'Active' attribute shows up as a check box in the AE, which cannot be keyed). If a passive rigid body is moving while it gets changed into an active one, its velocity will be preserved and used to start its active dynamic simulation, which makes it possible to "throw" objects, among other things.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
Re: Stopping an object in motion
on Dec 13, 2008 at 3:50:21 pm

Hi

Also you might need to check the rigidbody attributes, mass, bounciness, friction etc, that's where the magic happens running the sym alone doesn't work like you need almost NEVER :D ,
the secret to syms is, TWEAK IT TWEAK IT and TWEAK IT again,

also as Steve said, you don't have to rely only on sym, you can get in there and TWEAK IT so it does what you need

remember our job is all about CHEATING I love it

good luck

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater
http://www.intelianimate.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]