FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to create a cloud-like text effect?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Gornall
How to create a cloud-like text effect?
on Dec 4, 2008 at 3:19:48 pm

I've searched all over to find a way to produce a 3d cloud-like text effect but can only find this- http://library.creativecow.net/articles/yousefi_morteza/cow_clouds.php which is for 3ds max. Does anyone know how to achieve the same effect in maya? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Steve Sayer
Re: How to create a cloud-like text effect?
on Dec 6, 2008 at 3:57:56 pm

The same technique could fairly easily be adapted to Maya, using the Dynamics module.

Again, you would create geometry in the shape of the text you want to create, then you would turn that geometry into a surface emitter (Particles -> Emit From Object []). Change the particles to the Cloud type, set the emitter settings as you wish, and add any appropriate fields.

If you have questions about specific steps, post them--I know I haven't been on the forum as regularly as I should be lately, but I'll try to check back in soon.

One commonly-overlooked step when working with cloud particles in Maya: make sure you turn up the 'Diffuse Coefficient' attribute on the particleCloud shader. This allows the particles to receive light and look puffy and 3D; with it set at the default of 0, they look flat and empty. (C'mon, Autodesk, choose reasonable defaults for crucial attributes!!)

Good luck,

-Steve

Return to posts index

Chris Gornall
on Dec 6, 2008 at 11:36:08 pm

Thank you so much for the advice, it has produced a very nice looking effect!

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Dec 7, 2008 at 2:52:42 am

Glad to hear it--you're welcome!

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]