FORUMS: list search recent posts

Combining many nurbs surfaces into one object

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Kapusinski
Combining many nurbs surfaces into one object
on Oct 14, 2008 at 11:44:34 pm

Does anybody know how to combine or merge many nurbs surfaces down into one object in Maya?

I have grouped the 25 plus nurbs surfaces and arranged them properly in my outliner so they move as one object, but I can still click on any part of it and delete, etc. I want one object. I am creating a dandelion with transparent seeds, which will eventually be used to show someone blowing it in the wind. I have about 25 nurbs cylinders going into a bud, then the stem and a few other surfaces. Right now I am duplicating this group over and over to make the dandelion, but it is slowing down my 4gb G5 Mac and crashes often so I'm thinking if I can make all of those 25 nurbs cylinders, etc. one object in the sense where I cannot manipulate any of the pieces, just the object itself, then it won't keep crashing. I'm looking for the pre-compose function of After Effects in Maya.

Return to posts index

Nick Pitcavage
Re: Combining many nurbs surfaces into one object
on Oct 15, 2008 at 11:01:56 pm

try duplicating them as Instances.
This will give you a separate 'Translate. rotate, and scale' node for each. This will keep file size really low, and allow you to move around in Maya with out clogging up the scene.

Return to posts index

Nick Pitcavage
Re: Combining many nurbs surfaces into one object
on Oct 15, 2008 at 11:03:24 pm

or, try assigning your shape as a particle.
I would use Polygons for this route tho.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]