FORUMS: list search recent posts

Texture Mapping

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Norris
Texture Mapping
on Oct 13, 2008 at 1:38:21 am

I think I’m losing my mind. I have tried to find help with my issue everywhere and I’m exhausted and with no solution. I hope someone here can help.

I’ve created a polygon model of a house in Maya 2008. Now that I’m done modeling I want to apply some textures to the outer walls. I have a 512 X 512 seamless brick texture image I want to use. I create a new Lambert object and assign the image file to it. I then select all the faces on the outside walls and then right click the Lambert material and choose “assign material to selection”. On my model some of the faces have the brick image zoomed in and others have it zoomed out, it’s all a mess. If I open the UV texture editor I see where it’s placed all the mappings in crazy places with crazy sizes, all on top of each other. In that texture editor I tried to resize some of the mappings or move them and it won’t let me. I was able to create a new map and even though it only contains the faces I selected - I still cannot edit their position or size.

Why does this have to be so complicated? And further more how can I fix it? I looked for tutorials and tips but most of them are geared towards creating planar, cylinder mappings but I can’t use these as my walls go all the way around the building.

Help?

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
Todd Norris
Re: Texture Mapping
on Oct 14, 2008 at 12:33:00 am

I figured this out myself but I want to explain for anyone else who doesn’t understand so they won’t have to go through what I did. Seems there isn’t enough content on this subject online or in the Maya help files. The Texturing process in Maya is NOT user friendly and I had to dig through tons of articles, tutorials and help files till finally I pieced it together. This probably isn’t the best method but it will get you the end results and at least point you in the right direction.

Texture mapping in Maya is done through UV sets. When you’re creating your model, moving polygons, extruding and getting the shape the way you want, Maya is automatically creating a UV set for you. Thing is, it’s useless! For your texture to map correctly you’ll have to re-create the UV set yourself.

Choose Polygon in the drop down for your shelf.

Right click your model and choose faces.

Select all and highlight the whole thing. -->edit > select all

Open up the UV Texture Editor. --> Edit Uvs > UV Texture Editor

You’ll see a bunch of orange geometry. Right click it and choose UV.

Make sure all the geometry is selected. It should be since you selected your entire model earlier. If not you can drag your mouse over it while holding down the left mouse button. Your mouse scroll wheel can be used to zoom out. Make sure you select ALL of it.

Choose Polygons and then delete UVs from the UV Texture Editor File menu. --> Polygons > Delete UVs

Now you’ll have to create your own UV’s to map with. To do this you’ll need to figure out what kind of mapping you’ll need to do. Your options are Planar, Cylindrical, Spherical or automatic. Since I was mapping the outside of a building with a brick texture I used Planar.

I highlighted all of the faces on the front of my building where I wanted the brick texture and then went to the Create Uvs menu and chose the box on the right of Planar Mapping. A window will open up with some options. I chose Best plane, Z Axis (because that’s where the front of my building coordinated to), Keep image w/h, insert projection before deformers. < -- DO NOT CHECK “CREATE A NEW UV SET”!

Click Project. Now you have all the mappings for the faces you selected on your model.

I had already set up a Lambert object that referenced my brick texture file so all I had to do was open the Hypershade window, right click the shader and choose “apply to selection”. Make sure you press 6 on your keyboard when in the viewport to see your textures on your model.

In the UV Texture Editor window you can move the mappings around and scale them till you get the desired look. Once you’re done with that, select all the UVs and move them to the side in the UVs Texture Editor window.

Repeat the process for the other texture mappings and there you go.

Cheers,
Todd

Return to posts index

Robert Simms
on Nov 7, 2009 at 4:14:41 pm

Hi Todd,

I don't know if it helped the guy that made the post, but it sire helped me with my maya homework :o).

Thanks,
Bob

Return to posts index

Todd Norris
on Nov 9, 2009 at 10:17:16 pm

Thanks Bob - Good luck with your class!

Return to posts index

mohammed Zaheer
on Mar 31, 2010 at 7:48:39 am

Thanks thanks a lot my friend.i was not able to get the solution to my problem.the problem was when i would apply an image or checker to a plane and render,the image would appear stretched or distorted.i tried UV mapping but still the problem existed.
i am very grateful to you.thanks a lot again.

Zaheer.

Return to posts index

Nora Franckeviciute
on Jul 16, 2010 at 11:37:40 am

Dear Todd,

You are a genius, thank You so much!

wonderful!

take care and thanks again!

Nora

Return to posts index

James Trent
on Feb 3, 2013 at 2:44:57 am

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but thank you so much Todd Norris, instead of just saying "Nevermind guys I figured it out.", you actually took the time to explain 'how' you fixed it, and it helped me a lot.

Return to posts index

Todd Norris
on Feb 4, 2013 at 12:27:01 am

You're welcome James! I had forgot about this post. UV mapping and texturing in Maya is not intuitive. I'm glad you found my post helpful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]