FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good/Bad Geometry? HELP!!

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Warren Jerzyszek
Good/Bad Geometry? HELP!!
on Sep 3, 2008 at 10:52:17 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to maya and im learning it at quite a nice pace, however when it comes to actually creating my own models I find myself hitting some problems.

Is it called bad modelling if you have overlapping geometry? ie overlapping objects, or is this kinda standard?

I and not sure if I should be joining my seperate objects together using merge/bridge etc(i constantly feel i should be) and when I use booleans I find sometimes my geometry is really messy. I know static modelling such as buildings its fine to use booleans etc, but now im worried that if i use my booleans It leaves irregular geometry? geometry that actually looks quite nasty in wireframe mode ie edges pretty much overlapping. Is it ok not to have edges that are not symetrical?

Reson why its causing an issue is I eventaully want to make my showreel with the models animating in textured and wireframe mode and I want the wireframes to look ok.

It's quite difficult to explain what I mean without being able to show you! but I hope one of you guys know what im asking and can maybe help.

Cheers Warren.

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
Re: Good/Bad Geometry? HELP!!
on Sep 15, 2008 at 6:06:59 pm

In the books you read and do tutorials in, they explain along the way when and why you clean up your geometry. Overlapping of the same will bring about texture problems and skinning problems later. When you match a head with a neck and join the vertices, they have to line up closely and have the same number so that joining operations will work as expected. When using booleans, you are joining objects together to create a whole, or the difference of the two, or the intersecting of the geometry. Always clean up your models as you go and try to keep it simple. Less geometry means smaller headaches. The docs do talk about modeling and how to model smart, but they are hard to read. The modeling and animation handbook talks a lot about clean modeling and hyper-realistic creature creation goes into detail about creating detailed geometry AFTER the model is built. Plenty of reading for you!
Hope it helps, BΩ

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]