FORUMS: list search recent posts

trax editor issue

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim cascarina
trax editor issue
on Sep 3, 2008 at 4:20:22 pm

Hi I'm having an issue with the trax editor I'm animating a spider walking i did the first step and the trax editor is looping the clip.
however with each step the ik handles on the legs seem to lag behind a bit more. until the body is traveling forward and the legs are stretched out behind. i have switched all to relative, checked they are all in the character set etc?

I'm stumped.

does it sound familiar to any one.

cheers
Jim

Return to posts index

Matt Nielsen
Re: trax editor issue
on Sep 8, 2008 at 2:41:13 am

It sounds as though your start and end frames are not the same. When you use the Pre Infinity and Post Infinity it calculates the new positions based on the positions of the original frames. So if you start and end frames are not exactly the same it will not loop correctly and the parts of the skeleton will start to drift back and not follow the geometry that was correctly keyed. I hope this helps. Good luck

Return to posts index

jim cascarina
on Sep 15, 2008 at 9:45:39 am

sorry for the delay in replying, I've been on annual leave.
I'm not exactly clear but it will give me something to investigate so thank you.

Return to posts index

Matt Nielsen
on Sep 19, 2008 at 2:01:01 am

Sorry for any confusion. First i would open the graph editor for the spiders walk animation. Check that the Start position and end position for each part of the animation are the same e.g. leg positions on the first frame and end frame are exactly the same. If there is any variance at all the result is the one that you described. Although your spider appears as though its looping correctly it may not actually be perfect. When you use the Post Infinity function in the graph editor to make the spider continue walking forward it will calculate the new positions of the spiders components based on the new frames. If the spider does not loop correctly you will notice parts of spider will start to lag and drift behind. So basically all you have to do to fix this is ensure that the start frame and end frame of your loop are exactly the same. There are many ways of doing this. The best way is to hold the Middle Mouse Button on the first key frame and drag to the last key frame. You will notice that the animation doesn't change while you are dragging the mouse button on the timeline. Release the MMB on the last frame then hit s to set the key. Do this for every element that is keyframed on your spider. I hope this helps. This is one possibility for your problem but i believe that this should fix at least one issue. Good Luck

Return to posts index

jim cascarina
on Sep 19, 2008 at 9:23:31 am

Thank you for taking the time to lay it out.
having taken your lead from your previous post I managed to correct the issue and is was indeed a slightly miss matched key frame:)..

however having this very clear explanation on the boards can only be a good thing.

good to see the community spirit has return to the cow,

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]