FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maya rendering slow on Dual 3.2 quad core.

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ari Grunzeweig
Maya rendering slow on Dual 3.2 quad core.
on Aug 28, 2008 at 3:57:37 pm

I'm using maya 2008 on a 2 x 3.2 quad core xeon with 4gb of ram.
My frames are rendering much slower that on an other 2.1 core 2 duo imac.

The imac is rendering at 2.25 minutes/frame
the mac pro is rendering at 6 minutes/frame

All project setting are the same.

Any ideas?
Are there any special setting to enable to massive power of thew mac pro??

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Ari Grunzeweig
Re: Maya rendering slow on Dual 3.2 quad core.
on Aug 28, 2008 at 4:20:45 pm

oh yeah.. I'm using maya 2008 under leopard 10.5.4

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
on Sep 15, 2008 at 6:13:36 pm

Have you checked your activity monitor to see if the cores are running? And you made sure to "use all available processors" ? In the render current frame settings box you should be able to set the amount of memory and how many processors to use. Has naught to do with mac.
Hope it helps,BΩ

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

Richard Beeninya
on Dec 17, 2008 at 4:59:33 pm

rendering quickly is not going to be determined by processor speed and ram alone... you have to take into consideration many aspects of your hardware and software to be able to render to your potential.

-processor (faster is better, but make sure the programs you are using can take advantage of the multi-core or multi-processor environment. autodesk 2009 supposedly should work with anything that is out on the market at the moment)

-ram (64-bit windows systems will take advantage of 8 gigs max, 32 bit systems 4 gigs only)

-hard drive (spindle speed is a big contributor to how fast you can render... running a 7500 rpm system is weak. you need to shoot for either solid state drives or 10,000-15,000 rpm hard disks in order to write at over 150 mb per second. slower hard disks will cap out your rendering at much reduced speeds)

-cache (front and rear caching is ideal for any CPU you are rendering with... a good cache will allow the processor to foresee what you will be writing to a hard disk and "grab" the space ahead of time. this saves time in searching for that space to write to at the moment of inscription. an analogy would be if you were running a defragmentation on a hard drive... the disk defrag goes through the system block by block until it sifts everything out and places data that are used by similar programs, etc. closer to each other so that read times are reduced when accessing that information on the disk. if your computer was going through 10 blocks at a time, obviously that would make the process faster...)

-bus (any CPU combination you are running should have a dedicated bus for each. if you are using a motherboard with 2 CPU slots but only 1 bus, you are forcing both to access the memory through 1 intermediary bus instead of separately... this slows things down CONSIDERABLY. you may need a better motherboard if you are running multiple processors.)

-video card (a minor issue, but you should have sufficient video capabilities to be able to view high resolution renders to begin with - and the programs will operate smoother with better video backup)

i hope this helps! (and i hope i didnt put a burr in your side by bringing up all this hardware stuff when you already have a computer you are actively using... sorry!)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]