FORUMS: list search recent posts

viewport malfunction?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tony hayes
viewport malfunction?
on Jul 28, 2008 at 5:31:22 am

This is my first entry into Maya and I have currently the learning edition only, downloaded from Autodesk. Initially it worked fine but now when I open it the perspective window is zoomed way out so that I have to zoom in to find the grid. When I do the top half of the screen makes it disappear and I can only see the bottom half. I have tried uninstall and re install from the web site but the same thing happens. Any ideas? Help would be much appreciated.
Tony Hayes

Return to posts index

Stanley Flomin
Re: viewport malfunction?
on Jul 29, 2008 at 4:28:38 pm

hmmm only thing I can think of is to check your camera settings...in the viewport click on view>select camera and push cntrl+A to show the attribute editory(or click on the attribute button at the upper right side of the screen). Check the near and far clip plane settings. My default is 1000 farclip and .1 near clip. I'm only guessing but maybe your near clip is way too high or your model too small so try lowering the near clip and see if that helps. Oh and its also possible that you have 2 models in the scene that are REALLY far apart from each other so when you try and focus on both of them it zooms way out trying to focus on both of them(which can also bring them out of the far clip plane hence making them invisible).

Return to posts index

tony hayes
on Jul 29, 2008 at 10:40:50 pm

Thank you very much Stanly for your response. I actually checked my near and far clip (I'm very proud of myself!) and tried re setting the scene and deleting the last one but nothing worked. It was simply a bizzarre circumstance I think. The other thing I noticed was that there were many fragmented files on my disk that disk de frag could not defrag so in the end I went to last resort. I re installed windows! It worked!
Thanks again very much for taking time out to respond
Tony Hayes

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
on Jul 30, 2008 at 2:59:09 pm

hi

I know is late, you re installed, but, this could be easily fixed by deleting or renaming the maya folder inside your my documents folder, that will force maya to start as new and create a bunch of new default preferences.

sorry for the delay :D

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater
http://www.intelianimate.com

Return to posts index

tony hayes
on Aug 1, 2008 at 1:42:57 am

Thanks Alvar. I'll put that one away in the troubleshoot folder
Tony Hayes

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>