FORUMS: list search recent posts

Texture MOVES when it shouldn't

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
frank unger
Texture MOVES when it shouldn't
on Jul 23, 2008 at 1:10:23 am

Sorry to bother for what's probably been answered several times; though I've searched forever for the answer.

PROBLEM; texture moves when I rotate the object.

GOAL; to make the texture stay put!

Is this what baking is??

Believe me, I'm reading and reading and learning - thanks for the help, this has really stumped me...

Sincerely-
Confused

Return to posts index

Stanley Flomin
Re: Texture MOVES when it shouldn't
on Jul 23, 2008 at 6:19:15 pm

baking is having maya or another prog calculate the lighting in your scene and output a texture file with that lighting in the texture so you dont have to use those lights....
as for the moving texture can you be a bit more specific? What'd you do to put the texture on...what kind of object is it? When you rotate an object the texture is supposed to rotate with the object.

Return to posts index

Al Chosky
on Jul 23, 2008 at 11:36:57 pm

Hey Frank, I had this problem yesterday in my Intro to Animation class at AAU. I figured out how to fix it, and I wanted to pass that info along to you, just in case it'll help. This is my first post in Creativecow.net, since I registered just now in order to reply to you. Haha..

OK, are your textures using projection mapping? If so, then that could likely be your problem. If you chose to project a texture (when you first made the shader), you will need to move the projection manipulator with the rest of your model. If you click the interactive positioning button while inside the shader attributes, you will see the manipulation tool. If this isn't moving along with your model's rotation, it will make the texture appears to be 'moving' incorrectly.

Think of a projection as a projector machine in class. It shines a light outwards against the black board. If someone walks infront of the black board, that light seems to wrap onto that person, but the image (texture) stays stationary as the person continues to walk past.

You can also re-skin your textures by making non-projected shaders, and using the 2D placement options to adjust their look. This will work as well, and could be the better choice since you won't need to animate (move) any texture manipulators with your model.

Did this help?

- Al

Return to posts index

Frank Unger
on Jul 24, 2008 at 12:47:55 am

Yes, that makes sense - it has dawned on me.
Please allow me to dive back in and make those adjustments to experiment.

To answer both of your questions (Stanley); I'm clicking on the 'auto projection' feature. Something goofy I noticed was that clicking on the 'planar projection' button yielded no results. However, when using the drop down menu and applying planar, it worked. That really stumped me. Perhaps that steered me in a vicious cycle?

Al - thank you for responding/registering, and I wish you great success with your class. And in case you haven't gathered, this forum is excellent. I only hope to contribute what others have given.

Frank

Return to posts index

Frank Unger
on Jul 24, 2008 at 1:02:55 am

The 'interactive placement' tool does confuse me; I know the cursor changes, then I'm not sure what to do with it. Again, I do my share of reading the manual but apparently have my moments!

Frank

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
on Jul 24, 2008 at 7:08:15 pm

hi
just delete the history on the object, never forget to delete history please?
is just as important as be kind rewind :D

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater
http://www.intelianimate.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]