FORUMS: list search recent posts

Purchasing Maya

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Lupetti
Purchasing Maya
on Jul 21, 2008 at 1:36:09 pm

Hello everyone,

I want to purchase the latest version of Maya. I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop. Will this computer handle the latest version of Maya?
I would rather purchase a new Mac, but I simple can't afford it right now.
So I ask you Maya professionals; would you use the Mac or PC for Maya?
I work in education so I am sure I can get some kind of educational rate.
Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Stanley Flomin
Re: Purchasing Maya
on Jul 21, 2008 at 6:50:57 pm

I've worked on both PC and mac versions of maya, there really isn't any significant difference. The only difference really is the apple key vs. cntrl.

I would imagine the laptop would handle maya, but the video card depending on what comes with it may not be supported. I'm fairly certain autodesk has a doc on their website that specifies which vid cards are supported and which aren't. Though to be honest I don't think it makes much of a difference, I've used 3 pcs that have vid cards that aren't supported and maya runs just fine. I have an hp laptop with a nvidia 6800 vid card and it runs just fine. There are some strange visual glitches ever so rarely but nothing absolutely critical that you can't work.

Return to posts index

Jim Jones
Re: Purchasing Maya
on Jul 22, 2008 at 11:35:02 pm

Hi Chris,
Probably not, from what these specs show ( http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2369 )
You should better Specs to run Maya, there is a Maya 2008 System Requirements here
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=7639522

It seems your Laptop may be lacking in Ram and Video, Maybe even CPU and HD Space

Anyway, my advice is always get the hardware before the software.

Cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]