FORUMS: list search recent posts

3D LOGO Maya tutorial

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
james ryan
3D LOGO Maya tutorial
on Jul 21, 2008 at 1:50:59 am

To Alvaro Castaneda,

I viewed your 3d maya logo tutorial on creative cow and have a question for you.

The workflow you used works fine with a single closed curve, but what happens if you have a letter such as 'A' or 'O' which have 2 curves, (an inner and outer curve).

When I select both curves and do the 'bevel plus', the bevel on the outside is correct, but the bevel on the inside curve is inverted the wrong way.

Please could you tell me a solution if you know one.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
Re: 3D LOGO Maya tutorial
on Jul 21, 2008 at 5:05:59 am

Hi James Thank you for viewing the tutorial

maya needs a selection SEQUENCE to know which curves go in or out, and the sequence is always in, this means that you have to select first the outer curves then the interior ones, like in "A", you first select the outer part then the little inner triangle, this works always like this even for more complex nesting of shapes, like in "B" , first the outer shape then the small inside parts.

thanks again and have fun

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater
http://www.intelianimate.com

Return to posts index

james ryan
on Jul 21, 2008 at 6:03:52 am

Thanks for the reply, but that only addresses the creation of the 3D letter itself, the problem is with the bevel that is on the letter.
The outer bevel is correct, but the inner bevel is inverted, even when selecting the curves in the correct sequence as you mentioned.
Maybe you can do a Part 3 tutorial about this. Would be good.
Thanks..

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
on Jul 21, 2008 at 3:50:15 pm

Hi

just reverse the curve direction, the ones that are wrong,

under EDIT CURVES> REVERSE CURVE DIRECTION

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater

Return to posts index

Colin Wiencek
on Jul 21, 2008 at 9:40:04 pm

I also have a question from this tutorial. At the end he says that he will leave the animation to us. What program do you need to do this and is there a tutorial for it?

Thanks,
-Colin

Return to posts index

james ryan
on Jul 22, 2008 at 12:53:50 am

To Alvaro,

Yes, I did reverse the curve direction originally, because I needed to do that to get the letter formed correctly in 3d, but this doesnt affect the direction of the bevel. So I am left with 3d letters but cant apply any style of bevel to them without the inner curves of the letter having an inversed bevel.
Funny though, all the other tutorials about creating 3d logos in maya on the web are all based on a single curve...

Thanks for replying anyway.

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
on Jul 22, 2008 at 2:57:37 pm

Hi James,

Well yeah, all the tutorial out there are for single line, cause of the 1995 Jurassic park agreement, :D just kidding.

ok James I don't really understood why you had to reverse the curves, the option I told you reverse the curve direction but only the way is created not the actual shape, any way, if that doesn't work for you try this.

You can actually select different styles for the outer and inner parts, by default it does the same on both you just need to select the opposite style for the inner parts, inside the attribute editor just modify the options for innerStyleCurve1.

good luck

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater

Return to posts index

Haxn Wasswa
on Dec 3, 2008 at 8:39:54 am

thanks Alvaro CastaƱeda for that great tutorial :)...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]