FORUMS: list search recent posts

hardware texturing particle tips anyone??

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Wilson
hardware texturing particle tips anyone??
on Jul 2, 2008 at 11:03:03 am

I'm trying to render some fast moving dust clouds and whirlwind type things - to be comped into real footage. Im struggling with the hardware render setttings - have been searching books and websites but cant find much in depth.

has anyone any tips for getting good results? I havnt used this method before

Am currently experimenting with points and multipoints - motion blurred but its very grainy doesnt really look like flowing dust. The streak particles just dont look remotely realistic when i use them.

One thing that is confusing is that opacity(in the points render type settings) doesnt affect the render. I read that lowering opacity and turning on colour Accum helps but I cant get opacity to make any difference.

if anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated-been experimenting for days and getting nowhere.

my most recent render settings are below if it helps

rendering with disk cache - several thousand point(particle type) moving across screen (the movement is ok - using diff mass and uniform field to get variation)

hardware in render globals:
36 samples
motion blur by frame 5
number of exposures 7

the other setting i left alone

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
Re: hardware texturing particle tips anyone??
on Jul 2, 2008 at 9:41:25 pm

HI

Actually dust I tend to do it with cloud type particles, and you render them in software, if you still wanna do points, do multipoint render type and up the samples in the render settings up to 36, also turn on motion blur, that will get you there.

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater
http://www.intelianimate.com

Return to posts index

Neil Wilson
Re: hardware texturing particle tips anyone??
on Jul 3, 2008 at 4:27:22 pm

Do you use lots of tiny translucent particles or larger ones with detailed textures. I've kind of given up with hardware point particles, just not getting decent results at the moment(im sure its possible just running out of time).

Does anyone have any tips for using sprites for smoke and dust. Ive been testing out some smoke shapes Ive made in photoshop but just wonder if there are any good example out there to steer me in the right direction.

or does anyone know of any dvds or packages - where you can buy a library of decent sprites?

thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]