FORUMS: list search recent posts

extrusion deforms when animating sub curve 1

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Stiglmayer
extrusion deforms when animating sub curve 1
on Jun 27, 2008 at 9:46:19 am

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me resolve this problem... I created an animated extrusion; a lace flying through space to be precise. 2 curves..everything works fine when animating it to the end. However, when I animate the sub curve 1 to "roll back in" it deforms and makes a very odd, jittery animation.

Any ideas on how to resolve this? Any info would greatly help. Please keep in mind that its been 3 months since ive started using it so try to keep the tech terms as simple as possible.

Thanx,

Dan

Return to posts index

Dan Stiglmayer
Re: extrusion deforms when animating sub curve 1
on Jun 27, 2008 at 11:52:11 am

sorry, what I meant is the animation of SUB CURVE 2 but toggling the min and max values within this parameter. The max values work fine, but the min values create the odd animation when i try to bring it in.

Hope this helps to better understand.

Thanx again,

D-

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Jun 27, 2008 at 2:31:43 pm

I'm not 100% sure, but I think this has to do with the fact that, when you change the min value, the shape/parameterization of the curve needs to be recalculated, which can produce hiccups and pops as it changes.

You might have some luck using a 'rebuild curve' tool on the resulting subCurve... you can use the rebuild options to specify different properties of the final curve, which may help stabilize it.

I'm sorry if this isn't very clear; I'm not sure if I have understood your description of the problem accurately.

Post again if you need more assistance. Some screenshots, if you can post them somewhere, might also help.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Dan Stiglmayer
on Jun 30, 2008 at 7:14:15 am

Thank you very much Steve. This should help a lot.

Appreciate the speedy response and Ill try rebuilding the curve...see if it helps.

Thx,

Dan

Return to posts index

Billy Hoiler
on Jun 25, 2010 at 4:11:37 pm

Hi Dan,
I just ran into the same problem where I can perfectly animate the maxValue ob subCurve 2 but not the minValue.

Could you solve that problem? I tried the rebuild thing but it didnĀ“t help - maybe I got that wrong...

thanks
B.

Return to posts index

Dan Stiglmayer
on Jun 26, 2010 at 5:10:05 am

Wow, this was a post I put over a year ago! Anyway, to answer your question, no I dont think I ever figured it out. Nice to know I wasnt the only one with this problem. Seems to me like a very basic animation function and theres no way around it... weird.

Well, best of luck finding a workaround man. Cheers!
-Dan

Return to posts index

Billy Hoiler
on Jun 26, 2010 at 8:35:51 am

Thanks Dan. I really wonder what autodesk had in mind with that minValue... to me this function looks broken :(.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]