FORUMS: list search recent posts

Automating the build of a 3D graph

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al Warburton
Automating the build of a 3D graph
on Jun 18, 2008 at 12:04:46 pm

Help!

I'm hoping someone had some suggestions on how to automate the generation of a 3D graph in Maya.

I want to feed the results from two survey questions (where the responses will range from 1-10 for each question and then be cross-referenced and plotted on a 10x10 grid)

The survey will be completed by a total of 20 people, and each person is represented by an object modelled in Maya and positioned on the base plane.

What I'd like is for the objects to be moved or stacked in 3D space according to their 'owner's' response.

What I'm wondering is whether there's a way of scripting this so that I can simply feed in the statisctics from the surveys and have Maya move/stack the objects and render the result out.

Any help would be much appreciated. Jelly Beans in the post for anyone who can tell me what to do.

Al.

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
Re: Automating the build of a 3D graph
on Jun 19, 2008 at 2:46:41 pm

Hi

Of course you could script that, But I think in my own experience I would rather do this by hand, cause is gonna take you a lot of time to script this, and is very easy to animate this.

I suggest you design the graph well and then is just a matter of setting the keyframes in the right values.

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater
http://www.intelianimate.com

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Jun 20, 2008 at 4:58:26 am

I agree with Alvaro. 20 respondants isn't that many. If you were an accomplished programmer, maybe it would be more efficient to script. But if you're not too practiced with MEL (or Python), it would probably be more work to learn what you need than to just animate it with keys.

That being said, it would be a good project with which to learn scripting, so if you really want to go that route... post again.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Al Warburton
on Jun 20, 2008 at 10:38:15 am

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

Animating the graph building isn't really my aim - what I'd really like to do is to set up an online questionnaire which gathers participant responses to two questions (answers range from 1-10), cross-references the answers and then plots each response on a 10x10 grid. Each participants' object would be placed/stacked accordingly. Maya would then automatically render off the image for automatic upload to a site where people could see a rolling representation of the 'poll'. I've done a couple of 3D sketches of the sort images I'm hoping to generate, one here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanmonoxide/2595198616/

I've had the suggestion that I should stack the objects and write a mel script to turn the visibility of objects/stacks of objects on or off, based on the input of an ascii file. But this is *really* not my area of expertise - I'm a digital artist with a fair bit of modelling, animating and texturing experience and my ultimate goal for this project is to get it shown in a gallery, online or real-world.
Would anybody like to collaborate on this? I'm keen to learn more about MEL and ascii in Maya, but I need someone to lend a hand. Credit will be given to anyone who has any ideas.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Jun 20, 2008 at 12:55:37 pm

Well, it's certainly possible to accomplish this with scripting. I wouldn't know anything about the scripting external to Maya (taking inputs from the web, uploading new images automatically, etc.) but the within-Maya stuff wouldn't be very difficult at all.

Drop me a line at steve [at] stephensayer.com.

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]