FORUMS: list search recent posts

A cable on a robotic arm

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John David Hutton
A cable on a robotic arm
on Jun 9, 2008 at 10:56:57 pm

I'm trying to achieve an effect and keep coming up with help and tutorials that's actually making it more complicated than what I need, for once. :-)

I just have a robotic arm with a 3 joint skeleton that's working fine. I'd like to attach a cable from one bone to another. The problem I'm having is that I'd like the cable to be constrained at each end and then react to the movement of the arm on its own. The tutorials I'm running across are having me build spring structures that react to gravity and changing and positioning them seems a bit clunky and more complicated than what I'm looking for. Just looking for a simple way of attaching a cable to a robotic arm and have mostly the middle reacting to how each bone moves.

TIA!

- MythProd
Mythical Studios
(John David Hutton)

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
Re: A cable on a robotic arm
on Jun 10, 2008 at 5:57:02 am

Hi!!

I did that for the intro animation at our web site http://www.intelianimate.com
I used clusters to just tweak it to taste also to parent the ends to the different parts of the robo arms.

you could also try using Dynamic hairs :D

l8r

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater
http://www.intelianimate.com

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: A cable on a robotic arm
on Jun 17, 2008 at 12:43:47 pm

I agree that dynamic hairs would be a good solution. If you don't want to use them for some reason, and you don't like using springs and softbody curves (although they're really not as bad as they seem), one other option would be to use a couple of invisible rigid bodies constrained to each other with pin constraints. Together they will make a 'chain' which you could use to drive your cable.

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]