FORUMS: list search recent posts

Find camera lens and position

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andres Bocan
Find camera lens and position
on May 23, 2008 at 1:59:40 am

HI:

Anybody knows a good way or a tutorial where I can learn how to find camera lens and position about a photo or a video ???
I want to add an object and I need to know the exact info of the cam that has shot the scene.

I have found just one tutorial from FX Guide but is not completely clear.

Thanks

Andres Bocan
Visual Effects Supervisor
Pol-ka Producciones
Argentina

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
Re: Find camera lens and position
on May 29, 2008 at 6:18:48 am

well, the short answer is, you can't, but that doesn't mean you can't make it work.

If you have a still shoot, put it it the maya viewport and move the camera until you find the best match, try modeling simple shapes in the picture to help you align it.

If you have a video, and it has enough parallax, you can try and track it using tracking software like syntheyes, boujou or my favorite PFTrack, oooh PFTrack does magic, after you find a solution in one of those apps, you can export the camera movement into maya and add other objects you need.

Not an easy task, and never a one way solution, gotta try and try until you get it.

good luck

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater

Return to posts index

Andres Bocan
on May 31, 2008 at 2:59:35 am

Alvaro:

Thanks for your help. But what I am really looking for is a way to find the specification of a camera like lens, focal distance, height of camera, angle and those sorts of things.

I have read a tutorial that explain how to do that in photoshop but for me is not totally clear.

In case you try to matchmove in a software like boujou, pftrack etc, is it possible to reach a decent solution without knowing lens, film back, etc ?

Thanks
Andres

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
on Jun 1, 2008 at 5:13:51 pm

HOla Andres!!

You can only find that kind of info in still pictures, there's metadata embed in some file, the files you get from the camera directly.

Video files DON'T save that kind of metadata, the RED camera is the only camera I know so far that can do it, you could do it for film but is kinda very hard and is not EMBEDDED in the file.

As far as getting a good result not knowing that, ABSOLUTELY!! I do it all the time, I get footage that I don't have any control over and yeah, PFtrack does an excellent job at figuring out the correct settings.

Good luck

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]