FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rigging a newspaper

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Forgione
Rigging a newspaper
on May 1, 2008 at 5:32:21 am

Hi all....

I am starting a new "personal test" for my reel and am currently in the process of setting up my scene to begin blocking out, but I have run into a little problem when it comes to adding the props i need.

I know next to nothing about rigging. I taught myself maya, but concentrated solely on animating characters already rigged, so while I feel I have become fairly comfortable animating in Maya....other aspects of the program go right over my head.

So here it is:
One of the characters in my shot is holding/reading a newspaper, and I was hoping to use this tutorial to create my newspaper:

http://highend3d.com/maya/tutorials/animating/Page-Turn-Anim ation-266.htmlh

However I discovered that when i group the pages together and try to move them into place within my scene, the joints or whatever they're called, become separated from the pages, and I don't know how to correct it so that the joint stay connected to the pages.

Ideally to be able to use this as my prop would be a plus. But I would be just as happy having to planes connected at a joint as well. Having a "paper-like" quality to the scene is not essential, and if it looked like he was just holding an oversize greeting card, I would be just as happy with that.

Unfortunately, on top of not being able to solve the problem with the above tutorial, I am not really sure how to even go about rigging something as simple as 2 planes attached together.

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated, and sorry for the length post.

All the best and thanks in advance.

Dan

All the best!

Dan

Return to posts index

John David Hutton
Re: Rigging a newspaper
on May 6, 2008 at 4:29:41 pm

If you've added joints to a newspaper and skinned it, you'll want to move the joints, not the geometry.

Using the default skin weighting you should be able to pull off a fairly good newspaper.

- MythProd
Mythical Studios
(John David Hutton)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]