FORUMS: list search recent posts

Auto-separate objects depending of distance from camera?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anders Hattne
Auto-separate objects depending of distance from camera?
on Apr 28, 2008 at 6:25:37 pm

Hi, I've gotten into a project where a moving person will be surrounded by objects that circle around the person. The shot will not be green-screened so I'll have to do some rotoscoping later.
However the question is whether there is a way of separating the objects that will pass in front of the person, since they won't have to be masked later on.. So when I render I could get a sequence with the objects in front and a sequence for the once in the back?

Return to posts index

John David Hutton
Re: Auto-separate objects depending of distance from camera?
on May 6, 2008 at 4:36:55 pm

Either put the person's footage on an image plane in maya or render separate layers or passes in Maya and bring into your compositor. Barring those two options read up on Z-depth layers which may or may not make life more difficult for you. :-)

- MythProd
Mythical Studios
(John David Hutton)

Return to posts index

Anders Hattne
Re: Auto-separate objects depending of distance from camera?
on May 6, 2008 at 5:20:31 pm

Thank you for your answer! I actually found out how to do it last week, and meant to answer back in case someone else would have a similar question.
I rendered out a RLA sequence with a z-depth channel and used some 3d channel filter to clip out the back objects.

I believe it is the more flexible option!
Although now I have a lot of trying out to do, since it seems the z-depth channel is aliased and should be rendered out at double resolution for a clean cut result... at least now I have a trail to follow!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]