FORUMS: list search recent posts

Selective Rigid Body Interaction

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Schuster
Selective Rigid Body Interaction
on Mar 12, 2008 at 8:12:41 pm

So I’m working with collision effects in Maya. I’m trying to make a solid shatter when it hits another solid. The problem I’m running into is that in order for an object to shatter without intersecting with its own pieces from the shatter effect, its collision setting under its ridigbodys dialogue must be off. However in order for active ridigbodys to interact with passive rigidbodys (and give the shattering impact effect) the collision setting must be turned on.

Now I’ve tried using a radial field in order to mimic the ground but that doesn’t seem to work well. I saw online that you can key frame each piece before and after they hit each other and the ground but that seems tedious and unnecessary… Any ideas?

---
philmadelphia.com
Go Ahead... Be Alittle Pretentious

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Selective Rigid Body Interaction
on Mar 28, 2008 at 3:32:38 am

Why don't you want the shattered pieces interacting with each other? If a real solid object shatters, the pieces will certainly collide with one another and contribute to the overall motion of the phenomenon.

To avoid grinding the simulation to a halt, though, you will probably want to shrink the pieces a little bit, and/or move them away from one another slightly. Basically you want to introduce some gaps between pieces, because if the pieces are touching each other when you start the simulation, it will cause problems. Assuming the shatter happens fairly quicly, nobody will notice the change in volume.

If you really need to have explicit control, however, you can use the Collision Layer attribute. Each rigid body will collide ONLY with rigid bodies on its own collision layer. A special case is collision layer '-1'. Anything on that special layer will collide with all other rigid bodies, regardless of layer. So you could put each of your pieces on a different layer, and set the ground plane to collsion layer -1 and that should work--but the pieces would visibly pass through each other, which probably isn't what you want.

Let me know if I haven't explained that clearly enough.

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]