FORUMS: list search recent posts

learning maya

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Hughes
learning maya
on Feb 2, 2008 at 7:46:55 pm

To master Maya from scratch, what is the general consensus in regards to taking courses or learning from home.

I animate in 2D with after effects and flash, and I'm starting to feel like an artist without a brush.

Any suggestions on the best skill set for animator/motionographers/compositors?

Is Maya the right choice? Should I attempt this with online tutorials and books?

Any book suggestions? I'm planning on mixing two and 3D styles so a book with this in mind would be amazing.

But is it possible? Should i go back to school?

Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
Re: learning maya
on Feb 4, 2008 at 3:16:13 pm

Usually the quickest/cheapest way to ramp up on a program, if your self-motivated, is to buy some tutorial DVD's. There are a lot of great ones out there, usually the two best companies are digital tutors and gnomon. They have a wide selection, and you'll be able to find something that tailored to what part of it you want to learn, if necessary.

Return to posts index

Lawrence Taylor
Re: learning maya
on Feb 7, 2008 at 6:56:49 pm

Also there should be a load of tutorials included with the help files like modelling the temple base and stuff. Theses can be a little boring but don't cost you anything and are a great way to learn the basics. After this I would recommend spending a while trawling the net for tutorials that can teach you different aspects of what you wish to learn. I've saved a lot of time from heading the advice of experts who have already gone through days of trail and error to achieve their desired results. After this I would suggest you get a couple of books when you've gathered a more complete understanding of what it is you want to achieve and understand a little more of the ways to go about it. And yes Maya is deffinately the right choice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved