FORUMS: list search recent posts

create particle realistic ocean in maya

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
suresh prajapati
create particle realistic ocean in maya
on Jan 23, 2008 at 5:13:27 am

hello,
may i kno how 2 create realistic ocean in maya as i tried doin so but i cnt get da effect of water splashin whn a ship is movin in da ocean. i evn wan 2 kno how show da waves on side of a ship formin whn da water is passin by da ship or ship is cuttin da water.
thanks in advance 4 all da help. plz let me kno soon.
- suresh

Return to posts index

Dag Undseth
Re: create particle realistic ocean in maya
on Feb 1, 2008 at 5:29:58 am

I am not sure, but want to write what I tried.

It would be nice if a simple simulation with the ocean effects in Maya could create it all, but I do not believe it is possible, like if you used a ship's hull to create all the waves. Would be fun to hear otherwise.

The "visor" in Maya has an example with the "pond wake", but works the same with an "ocean wake". An emitter created with either two wake tools in dynamics tab, which is animated going forwards and ocillating it's density parameter between positive and negative values. It has to be timed right as far as I know to get to look like a natural wave.

There are a lot of settings everywhere, but alot of them should be left untouched I think.

Unless there is a simpler setup, I would suggest making 3 wakes.
1) for bow wake, with a fixed density value creating a wake as the emitter is animated forwards.
2) for main side-ship-wake slightly behind the bow, with an ocillating density value between positive and negative value, creating waves that go up and down. Wave should be shaped to form a V shape with 19.5 degree off from each side of ship i think, if water is displaced like a big cruiseship moving through the ocean.
3) for rear wake, like pt.2 but with less powerful.

I do not know how to create nice foam or splashing seawater.

After creating a wake for the ocean with the dynamics tools, the outliner should show an element for foam and one element for wakes that has a certain scale setting somewhere which must be lowered to slow down the wakes movement.

My waves height got clipped for some reason I do not understand, and turned flat on top so my wakes never became that high.

It is tough and annoying enough as it is to create anyting in my opinion, so please do not ask me how to set this all up.

Return to posts index

Dag Undseth
Re: create particle realistic ocean in maya
on Feb 1, 2008 at 5:32:02 am

Ops, my apologies, I forgot this thread was about particles.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]