FORUMS: list search recent posts

question about format to save in

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Baird
question about format to save in
on Jan 10, 2008 at 9:16:46 pm

It has been almost 10 years since I directly worked with 3D animation houses and/or compositors. I am finding something with a local company that I find unprofessional, but I want to know if the industry has changed so much in the last 10 years and I am just out of touch.

It has been my experience that if you are interested in doing high quality work in 3D/compositing, you always work with discrete frame stacks and never compress the sequence into an .mov or whatever until the last step (if then). This has the benefit of preserving every color and every pixel you render and making use of it as you move from MAYA to compositor and perhaps on to other software. It also seems faster since you don't have to create and breakdown .mov files to get to the individual frames.

However, a local animation house insists on using .mov files out of the 3D app and then feeding those into the compositor. I am seeing distinct artifacts due to this process including what I consider to be horrid picture breakdowns in simple dissolves they create, etc.

They continue to insist they are "highest quality" etc, but to my eye it just ain't so.

I know there is no "industry standard" way of working but is using discrete frame stacks an ancient memory that tells my age? Or do companies interested in best quality still work this way?

Sorry if this is too off topic for this forum, but I didn't see a more generic 3-d forum.

Thanks

MB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]