FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blowing paper

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
SSGGMM
Blowing paper
on Dec 7, 2007 at 11:36:38 pm

Any ideas on how I can make a small pile of documents blow into the air a float around randomly; like a sudden gust of wind had just blown into the room?

Particles, maybe? I've only ever used particles for rain. Can I parent objects to them?

Maybe add an ocean shader to each sheet of paper?

What else should I look into?

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
Re: Blowing paper
on Dec 8, 2007 at 8:09:54 pm

Hi

This effect can easy be made with ncloth if you have maya 8.X, make the paper sheets all in ONE combined mesh and made that a ncloth and apply forces to it, ncloth makes this very easy, I suggest you turn off self collision on the ncloth object so it simulates faster.

the trick is in the forces.

good luck

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater

Return to posts index

SSGGMM
on Dec 8, 2007 at 8:18:59 pm

I've actually been hunting down another approach today. Particle instancing. Works good so far. I just wish I could figure out how to randomize per-particle rotation.

I have other situations coming up in which I suspect your ncloth approach might work best. I'll be looking into it shortly. Thanks for that.

SGM

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Dec 11, 2007 at 6:56:24 pm

Ncloth probably would work better. it has controls for how the paper interacts with air which can lend a pretty realistic look and control.

As for randomizing particle instance rotations you need to do a couple of things:

1. On the particle shape in the attribute editor click General under Add Dynamic Attributes section. Name it rotatePP and set it as a vector datatype, choose per-particle(array) as the attribute type.

2. Right click on this new particle attribute (should be lumped in with velocity, world velocity, acceleration, etc.) and choose Creation Expression

3. In the expression editor do something simple to start like rotatePP = <>. That will make rotatePP random +-30 in x +-60 in y and +- 30 in z. You wont see anything happen to the instances yet, this just applies data to the particle.

4. This step will tell the instancer to use the rotatePP data you applied in step 3 to the instanced objects. Again on the particleShape in the attribute editor expand the Instancers (Geometry Replacement) secion and scroll down to Rotation Options. Change the pull down next to 'Rotation' from None to rotatePP (it shows up there when you create the attribute).

5. Now restart and play from the beginning you should have randomly rotated instances. You can use a Runtime expression to actually animate the rotation, which can be tedious. Or you can use AimDirection -> Velocity to make the instances orient to the direction the particles are moving.

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
Re: Blowing paper-EDIT
on Dec 11, 2007 at 7:01:44 pm

EDIT

sorry, my expression in step 3 did not translate correctly. It should look like this:

rotatePP = <<rand(30), rand(60), rand(30)>>

Return to posts index

SSGGMM
Re: Blowing paper-EDIT
on Dec 11, 2007 at 7:03:41 pm

Yes. Very helpful indeed. I'm learning nCloth right now (spectacular looking) but I still think this might work. Adding an ocean shader to the individual pages has a nice effect to it.

Thank again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]