FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blurry Image Planes with Mental Ray

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Morris
Blurry Image Planes with Mental Ray
on Nov 27, 2007 at 12:21:05 am

I'm having trouble figuring out why my image planes render blurry in Mental Ray for Maya. I'm aware of the Filter setting for textures that by default is set to 1 and blurs texture maps slightly. I didn't see that setting for my image planes, so perhaps I'm missing something. But I've also noticed that if I render the EXACT SAME camera with image plane in Maya Software, the image plane renders as crisp as the original file. It's just in Mental Ray that the image plane renders blurry. My image plane is a JPEG saved at highest compression, if that makes a difference. I am also using Maya 8.5 with the "myr_maya8.5sp1a_win32.exe" Service Pack installed. Thoughts anyone?

-Robert

Return to posts index

siesta
Re: Blurry Image Planes with Mental Ray
on Dec 6, 2007 at 1:42:41 pm

Have you tried to change the filter type?
Maybe you have already tried this, but if not, try setting filter type to "none" instead of mipmap/box or one of the others..

Return to posts index

Robert Morris
on Dec 6, 2007 at 3:59:18 pm

Thank you for the response, but I'm trying to find the "Filter" setting you are describing. Maybe a little more info on where it would be located? I've looked in the attribute editor for both the image plane and the camera.

Return to posts index

siesta
on Dec 6, 2007 at 5:26:26 pm

Hi again,

Sorry I've misread your question a little bit. I thought you wanted to map an image to a plane, hence the "filter type".

But why do you want to render an image plane? Isn't it better to ad the image in post in After effects or a similar prog?

If you really want to comp your render this way, try making a plane with the resolution you want, position it correctly and then parent it to your camera.

Don't know if that solves it..

Peace!

Return to posts index

Robert Morris
on Dec 6, 2007 at 5:45:11 pm

Well, I *could* set up a plane with an image texture on it. But that's certainly a problematic way of doing the same thing an image plane does. I usually do comp my renders in After Effects. But I was curious as to why Mental Ray blurred the image plane if I left it turned on, and Maya Software renderer didn't. Thanks, but anyone else know?

Return to posts index

Jason Brummett
on Mar 24, 2008 at 3:04:13 am

MR for maya is as most people know is unique in how it works. So here's the short answer and I could be wrong on this 1 as Mental Ray has so much depth that at times when you think it can't or doesn't, it does which incidentally makes it very on par design wise as Maya.

Maya software renderer is actually back in the day a pretty a sophisticated renderer and has a couple of core features that make it great for production and production compositing. 1 of those is how it treats aliasing. Basically it puts up front all of the algorythums it uses for aliasing in the Render Globals and has great functions for premultiplication of alpha channels etc.

MR on the other hand is very sophisticated to say the least but doesn't care as much about raw rendering as the Maya software renderer and incidentally treats all phases of rendering whether it's GI, scanline, simple Raytrace etc. as having a goal that an advanced raytrace GI renderer does. That being said; you can't via file textures or MR Render Globals turn off completely sampling of anything that gets rendered in a viewport! Including image planes etc. This is due to what is trying to accomplish GI etc. wise. You can however simply render out your image plane etc. on it's own Render Layer or by it's self via the software renderer and composite.

You'll notice that you can't turn sampling down under the various filters for the MR for maya below 1. This is because it's approach to this is as stated above. You can though turn it down to 1 and greatly reduce blurring or sampling of your background which should probably be sufficient but yes it is sampled.

Jason Brummett
Studio Z Inc.

Return to posts index

Robert Morris
on Mar 24, 2008 at 3:22:27 am

That doesn't totally make sense to me, but it makes sense enough to confirm that it really wasn't any of my settings. It's basically just the way MR renders (or re-renders as the case may be). Thank you very much for that concise response and I hope it will help someone else in the future if they are questioning the MR blurring of image planes as well.

Fine Art Drawings | Photography | Compositing | VFX | Titles | Keying | 3D

Return to posts index

roy achkar
on Jun 1, 2009 at 2:11:50 am

had the same issue.
it has been discussed here with MR expert.
http://www.highend3d.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=258763

Jason what do you think bout what had been said here?

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
on Jun 1, 2009 at 2:28:57 pm

ON the File node under Effects turn the filter Zero, I always do that, unless I need a little blur

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater
http://www.intelianimate.com

Return to posts index

Robert Morris
on Jun 1, 2009 at 2:41:49 pm

Well, as I explained in my original post, I do know about the filter settings for texture maps. But unless I am missing something, I don't see it for Image Planes. Can you be VERY specific as to where you are finding this setting for IMAGE PLANES? As I do not see it. There is no "Effects" tab under the file node for an image plane.

Fine Art Drawings | Photography | Compositing | VFX | Titles | Keying | 3D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]