Selecting objects by name?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tim
Selecting objects by name?
by
on Nov 19, 2007 at 6:15:44 am

Hey Yall,
I have a simple question, and I'm hoping it has a simple answer. Is there a way to select multiple objects that have the same name, or even better, a similar name with minor variation. For example, say I am making a scene with a bunch of cars. I want to select the tires. The problem is that they are all grouped to their respective cars and I dont want to have to waste time digging into each group to find the tires. The good thing is that I know I named them all "Tire_01." So is there a way to just type in "Tire_01" and have it select all the objects with that name? Even better for me would be if I could type in "tire" and it would select all the objects with "tire" in the name. For example, "Tire_01", "Tire_LFT", "RT_Tire", etc.

So is there a way to do this? I know I can use the filter thing in the outliner but it still makes me drill down through the groups to find the filtered objects. And I still need to actually select the things too. I would like to just be able to type in for selection. If I thought ahead I would have set up some selection sets, but alas I did not.

Thanks in advance! (sorry if this is unclear as I am tired and been trying to solve major issues in Maya for way too long today, let me know if I can make this clearer in any way)

Return to posts index

tim
Re: Selecting objects by name?
by
on Nov 19, 2007 at 4:24:49 pm

i guess the simple question is, can I select multiple objects with the same word in their name (tire for example), and this includes some that are named the exact same name.

Return to posts index

tim
by
on Nov 19, 2007 at 4:58:32 pm

I got an answer from another forum that makes the problem seem silly. Thought I would share. In the top right of the main window of maya you can set different selection things to be typed in, for example, absolute transform, relative transform, etc. If you select "select by name" you can then type *tire* and it will select every object with "tire" in the name. This worked like a charm and I will be using this heavely from now on. Thanks for all your help!

Return to posts index

Jill Calhoun
on Nov 21, 2007 at 7:46:55 am

That's so cool! Thanks for coming back and sharing the info. I know how tiring it can get when you are battling a deadline and trying to learn maya all at the same time! Goo luck with your car project!

Return to posts index

tim
by
on Nov 21, 2007 at 12:37:35 pm

Sure thing. I have gotten a lot of answers from this community, so I was glad to finally give a little something back. And the project is actually a medical animation but I figured cars would be the easiest analogy to explain. =) And thanks for the words of encouragement.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]