FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question About Planar Projection

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Starchilde
Question About Planar Projection
on Nov 13, 2007 at 8:34:52 pm

This may be a dumb question (I'm new at this) but here goes:

When a layered texture is mapped onto an object using planar projection the image shows up on opposite sides of the object. Is there any way - using planar projection - to have it appear on only one side of the object?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Question About Planar Projection
on Nov 15, 2007 at 5:11:40 pm

I don't think there's an easy workaround for this, which is odd, now that I think about it.

Try using two different copies of the texture--one with the projection and one without--across the surface.

Alternately, you could maybe use another projection, half black and half white, at 90

Return to posts index

Starchilde
on Nov 16, 2007 at 11:19:39 pm

Thanks for the reply!

The simplest solution (at the moment) for me is to simply select an isoparm in the object and break the one into two. Then I can apply a separate shader network to the underside.

I was really hoping to simply find a check box or button for "apply both sides" or "apply one side only". Oh, if life were just that easy!

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Nov 17, 2007 at 6:30:18 pm

Sorry I wasn't more help.

If there's an isoparm that neatly separates the two halves of the surface, you don't need to split the geometry. You can instead use a ramp or half a checker node (either one, so long as it changes from white to black at that parameter) to create a mask for the projection, turning it 'on' on the section where you want it to appear, and 'off' on the section where you don't.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense.

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]