FORUMS: list search recent posts

new computer for maya

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mohan42
new computer for maya
on Nov 11, 2007 at 12:38:12 pm

hi there
First of all sorry if i'm posting in the wrong area.
It's just that I'm a Maya enthusiast,it being an ejoyable
hobby. I've mainly been following the lovely tutorials on
this site (and boy has it given me so much), also going along
from other materials.
It's come to the stage where I need to build a new computer
to run Maya fairly smoothly, especially for rendering.
I was wondering if anyone could give me any few pointers.
I was thinking maybe dual cpu asus board, 2x quad q660 processors, 2gb ram, x8800 nvidia graphics card?...
Many thanks

Return to posts index

Pyro
Re: new computer for maya
by
on Nov 16, 2007 at 9:50:30 pm

The brief specs you mentioned should work just fine. We run 3 systems with Quad 6600 and Quad 6800 chips. Fact is they outperform Xeon chips in raw render speed. We have Intel and Gigabyte motherboards.

Xeon chips are intended for servers and thus are more expensive and use more expensve ECC Ram, pricier and buggy mobo's and use a number of clocks for error check, thus the performance hit.) However, we haven't had any problems and our servers (HP) use Xeon's and RAID5 where it really matters.

However, these chips (Core Duo Quads) are socket LGA775 and if there is a dual socket 775 mobo out their I haven't found it! I don't think they exist actually.

For about $280us the a Core Duo Quad 6600 at 2.4ghz per core is a steal. 2gb Ram is a little low, IMO. Put 3GB in if you are using XP, put 8 gb in if you're Vista 64. Few LGA775 mobo's allow more RAM to be installed.

We also use Nvidia game card in some of the systems. They work great actually. Sometimes we'll see a rare anomaly. We have 7600GT 256mb and 512mb cards from various makers. The 8800 card should do fine.

Hope this helps. If you actually found a dual socket 775 mobo, what is it?

Return to posts index

Brent Keller
Re: new computer for maya
on Jan 12, 2008 at 4:27:24 pm

I am looking to put togeather a system to run Maya, Vegas, and other 3d cad programs.. maybe Max.

Mobo - Nvidia 680 SLI 775 socket
CPU - Intel 6600 Quad
Ram - 3 gig DDR2 800 (brand???)
Video Card - Nvidia 8800GT or Nvidia Quatro 1500

WHAT IS THE BEST SUB $400 CARD OUT THERE???? I would like the to run two cards in the future... maybe even two processors if I could find a good sub $300 multi processor board.

Would like to over clock all above a bit, so it will get plenty of power and cooling

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]