FORUMS: list search recent posts

Volumetric lights and shadows?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jakub Michalski
Volumetric lights and shadows?
on Nov 1, 2007 at 11:19:40 am

I am trying to do a setup in which a number of lights facing camera are obscured by different silhouettes. Both the lights and the geometry obscuring them are to be animated (transform, not deform).

I want to have a setup in which the lights have a nice volumetric cone, affected by the objects in front of them, but I just can't figure out how to do it.

I normally work on simple daylight scenes and this dark lighting is driving me insane.

The light cones I manage to create look just fine but they don't interact with geometry that should block the light.

How can I tackle this issue? Populate atmosphere with particles? I am really pretty blank on ideas (and no pro in maya either).

Jakub Michalski
imago new media studios
http://www.imagonewmedia.com

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Volumetric lights and shadows?
on Nov 1, 2007 at 1:59:42 pm

The volumetric shaders on the lights cones should be able to interact properly with your objects. But tell me, are the objects modelled, or are they, for example, silhouettes 'cut out' of poly planes using alpha channels? If the latter, be aware that the entire poly plane, and not the 'cutout' shape, will affect the light.

Beyond that, just make sure your lights are set to use depth-map shadows, and you should get the expected effect.

Oh, what renderer are you using? The workflow is different for Mental Ray. The Maya Software renderer is the one I tested with.

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]