FORUMS: list search recent posts

Z-Depth

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
francois
Z-Depth
on Oct 25, 2007 at 5:02:58 pm

Has anyone gotten Zdepth to work properly in After Effects yet - Rendered out of Maya?

I feel like a dumb-ass. I've never been able to get it to work right.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Apok_L
Re: Z-Depth
on Oct 27, 2007 at 3:35:34 am

Hey Francois,

Hmm, can you be a bit more specific? Are you trying to recreate a depth of field or some kind of perspective effect?
Are you rendering RLA files out of Maya? Also, be sure z-depth is selected on the cameras you're rendering from, sometimes it's the little things.

On the AE side, the 3d channel extract is pretty good for gleaning z depth info from RLAs, but i prefer creating my own luma mattes from light fog, or a spotlight on white materials in Maya.

Return to posts index

francois
on Oct 27, 2007 at 1:12:51 pm

Hey Apok.

Yes, I'm trying to get a successfull Depth Matt and Depth of Field in AE with Maya renders. The problem I keep running into is that the Z channel from Maya is totally jagged and AE also doesn't interperate the data correctly: I have to alter the 3D-Effect values in tiny increments.
So I have in the past attached a Ramp shader to a camera and that works pretty good, but how could you use that as an accurate Depth matt?

Damn. I wish the actual Z channel was of a better quality.
Any help will do.
Thanks a lot.

Return to posts index

Apok_L
on Oct 29, 2007 at 4:54:42 pm

Hey francois,

Yea, the z-depth info, unfortunately, isn't aliased and at a low bit. I'll admit I've had to make do; sometimes a gaussian bandaid was used >.<

You can create a 'dof' luma pass using a black/dark environment fog and applying a white material to all of the objects in the scene.. The best part is the control you have over the saturation level (the level of black) to the camera, and that obviously coincides with the blur intensity . The bestest part is the quality of the resolution is up to you.
Apply AE lens blur to your RGB+ movie, and then just set the depth map layer to the luma pass.

Return to posts index

francois
on Oct 29, 2007 at 4:59:41 pm

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]