Instance replacement etc.

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tim
Instance replacement etc.
by
on Oct 15, 2007 at 11:25:02 am

Hey yall,
In talking with Steve he pointed out that I was overusing the same objects where I could use instances and save on file size and render times. My question is this, if I created a bunch of animation etc, and now I realize that I can just use instances for the animated objects, is it possible to some how replace the objects with instances without having to reanimate? My guess is no, but I want to check with you guys.

Also, say I need to create 2 scenes where the only difference is one object type (lets say a sphere) is replaced by another object type (lets say cube). The spheres and cubes are relatively similar in shape and are to have the same animation. I was wondering if there was a way to instance them (both types will have many reiterations within their respective scenes) so that I can just switch easily from the sphere to the cube? I realize this is a bit confusing so feel free to ask for clarification on any of this.

Thanks!
Tim

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Instance replacement etc.
on Oct 16, 2007 at 2:45:03 pm

This is certainly possible with MEL--I'd check HighEnd3D and other sites for a script to download. I'm sure there's one out there somewhere.

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]