FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maya Batch Rendering is BROKEN after new install!

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Basspig
Maya Batch Rendering is BROKEN after new install!
on Sep 10, 2007 at 3:31:12 am

Two weeks ago, I had Maya 8 working perfectly. Batch renders worked and you could see the progress, frame by frame on the status line.

After a hard drive disaster with Norton Ghost causing my Windows to become unbootable, I had to rebuild my Win XP environment from scratch. I reinstalled Maya fresh.

The single frame render works fine, but when I batch render after the new install, I just get "Result: Rendering with Maya software..." and 0 CPU utilization across my four CPU cores. Maya is doing nothing. The prior installation worked, showing frame by frame progress in the status bar, and
CPU utilization was high across four processor cores.
Mayabatch.exe is loaded in RAM, but it's CPU use is ZERO.

Considering this is a clean install, there can be nothing interfering with Maya, so I don't understand what's different from 2 weeks ago. The only small thing that is different is that this workstation is no longer connected to a network or the internet. Does Maya require an internet connection for batch render to work? It seems like it's waiting for something and never starting. No new file is created or opened either.

I've even gone back to testing with a project known to batch render two weeks ago. It behaves the same. So something's broken with this Maya installation, or it needs an internet connection to render. But the installation went normally, so I am doubtful it's corrupted somehow.

How do I fix this? I can't render animations anymore.

Return to posts index

Basspig
Re: Maya Batch Rendering is BROKEN after new install!
on Sep 10, 2007 at 3:48:46 am

Here's my log file:

9/9/2007
mental ray for Maya 8.0
mental ray: version 3.5.1.2, 15 Jun 2006, revision 18552
mental ray: mental ray for Maya - startup done
File read in 0 seconds.
Result: D:/Maya Projects/Teapot_sketch__2216.mb
Total Elapsed Time Since Start Of Maya (hh:mm:ss): 00:00:06
====================================
Resource Usage At Start Of Rendering
38760 Page faults
147.660 Mb Max resident size
146.348 Mb Peak total size(Estimated)
11.061 Mb Peak arena size
147.660 Mb Current
9.375 Mb MEL
0.125 Mb NURBS Surface Shapes
1.000 Mb NURBS AG
0.125 Mb Keys
0.313 Mb Data Blocks
0.124 Mb Transforms
Rendering using 4 threads.
Automatic near/far clipping values: 0.1, 37.1165.
Rendering frame 1.
Starting Rendering D:/Maya Projects/Teapot_sketch.avi.
Constructing shading groups.

Generating shadow map for directionalLightShape1, with clipping values: 0.01 71.4527
Rendering current frame.
Frame triangle count: 8591
Resource Usage At End Of Frame
19334 Page faults
218.973 Mb Max resident size
235.547 Mb Peak total size(Estimated)
87.729 Mb Peak arena size
168.219 Mb Current
9.375 Mb MEL
1.000 Mb NURBS AG
0.125 Mb Keys
0.313 Mb Data Blocks
10.000 Mb Render Cache
0.007 Mb Render Geometry Arena
0.124 Mb Transforms
Postprocessing rendering result.
ERROR, Cannot add a new track to AVI (Microsoft? audio/visual interleaved) file "D:/Maya Projects/Teapot_sketch.avi.tmp"; check for a full disk or memory allocation error
Error: Failed to open output file: D:/Maya Projects/Teapot_sketch.avi.tmp
Time For Tessellation (hh:mm:ss): 00:00:00
Time For Shadow Map (hh:mm:ss): 00:00:00
Time For Post Process (hh:mm:ss): 00:00:02
Time For Frame Render (hh:mm:ss): 00:02:31
Finished Rendering D:/Maya Projects/Teapot_sketch.avi.

I can't understand why it can't write to the disc when there's hundreds of gigabytes free and 4GB of RAM installed in the system.

EDIT:

I tried setting the network share permissions on the drive Maya is writing to to give "Everyone" "Full control". This seems to have stopped the writing errors, but....

I'm loading the log every few minutes and watching the CPU activity on TaskManager.

CPU usage is 0% for 3m 17s, then there is a 60% spike and the log file increments to show that a frame was rendered and that it is rendering new frame. It takes 1 second to render the frame, but the system is waiting for 3m 17s while doing nothing. This seems absurdly inefficient.

Two weeks ago, Maya Rendered 600 frames of animation in about 15 minutes. Right now, it's sitting idle for 99.98% of the time, then rendering a frame, then sitting idle again, which slows things down to 4-5 frames in 15 minutes. Manually rendering a single frame takes 1 second, so what is Mayabatch doing for 3m 17s?

Return to posts index

Basspig
Which Network Ports Does Maya Batch Render Use?
on Sep 10, 2007 at 4:58:50 am

Just out of curiousity, some people are reporting that the batch render problems are related to network firewalls. If this is the case, then perhaps Maya is trying to access the internet during batch render, or some other network resource. If it is doing so, then it requires certain ports to be open.
Which port numbers would these be?

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Which Network Ports Does Maya Batch Render Use?
on Sep 10, 2007 at 1:44:59 pm

I don't know the answer off the top of my head, but I think there's another thread a little ways down that talks about ports--maybe scroll down and see if you can find it.

Good luck,

-Steve

Return to posts index

Basspig
on Sep 10, 2007 at 11:19:15 pm

After giving Maya full access to the network/internet, she appeared to be rendering frames of a project just fine, however, after a twenty-hour rendering session with heavy particle simulations and fluids, we find that no file was created and a check of the render log revealed this:

Automatic near/far clipping values: 0.1, 312.709.
Rendering frame 150.
Starting Rendering D:/Maya Projects/persp/MW Comms Logo Animation 2007.avi.
Constructing shading groups.

Rendering current frame.
Glow: Filter Width = 23
Resolution = 0.638943
Halo: Filter Width = 57
Resolution = 0.260847
Frame triangle count: 30340
Resource Usage At End Of Frame
4287 Page faults
186.055 Mb Peak total size(Estimated)
31.958 Mb Peak arena size
186.047 Mb Current
3.452 Mb Arrays
0.007 Mb Render Geometry Arena
13.333 Mb Render Cache
9.375 Mb MEL
1.250 Mb NURBS AG
3.861 Mb File Texture Mipmaps
0.125 Mb Keys
0.313 Mb Data Blocks
0.124 Mb Transforms
Postprocessing rendering result.
Glow intensity normalization factor = 0.169458.
Halo intensity normalization factor = 2.18391.
ERROR, Cannot add a new track to AVI (Microsoft

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Sep 11, 2007 at 1:01:41 pm

I'm no networking guru, but let me try to suggest a couple of things.

First, does this apply only to renders, or can Maya not write any data to that folder? Try exporting or saving info from the Maya GUI into that folder and see what happens.

Second, note that when you send Maya to do a batch render, it's not actually the Maya.exe that does the work; it's the render.exe binary (I think) that gets launched in the background. Perhaps that separate process is not inheriting the Administrator access of Maya? Make sure the render application itself has full permissions in that folder.

Hope that's helpful somehow. Good luck.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Basspig
on Sep 11, 2007 at 7:50:34 pm

I traced the trouble of write permission to the use of a HuffYUV CODEC for compression. When I set Maya to render uncompressed frames, she rendered beautifully.

HOWEVER..... this still does not solve the problem of the 3m 17s DELAY before Maya renders EACH frame, when Internet access is BLOCKED. She only renders quickly when the network is available. Block access to internet and she's idle 99.9% of the time, rendering a frame, then idle for 99.9% of the time, and so on. This slows things WAY down.

I am reading that Maya may need access to certain ports, but no one is saying WHICH ports to leave open. I use port filtering in Windows to keep the machine clean from internet filfth and I don't feel safe leaving the machine open to this 24/7 for batch rendering.

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
on Sep 11, 2007 at 2:00:03 pm

Have you tried writing a file sequence(iff, sgi, tga) instead of a AVI to see if it's an issue with AVI's?

What happens if you just make a file with a bouncing ball and try rendering that to a AVI? (fresh file)?

Any of those work?

Chad

Return to posts index

Basspig
on Sep 11, 2007 at 7:52:26 pm

I can render, only if I unblock the internet. If the internet is blocked, Maya waits 3m 17s exactly between rendering each frame.

Return to posts index

Basspig
on Sep 25, 2007 at 12:54:30 am

I found the answer to this problem with batch rendering:

Maya 8.0 uses these ports to batch render:

Allowing those TCP ports made it possible for Maya to batch render.

Oddly though, enabling those ports also came with an attendant delay in accessing the Network Neighborhood: when clicking on the Network Neighborhood icon, there is 12 second delay before the list of folders appears. But at least Maya can batch render now.

Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

http://www.basspig.com The Bass Pig's Lair - 15,000 Watts of Driving Stereo!
http://www.mwcomms.com
http://www.adventuresinanimemusic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]