FORUMS: list search recent posts

Surface Shaders and Motion Blur

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
SSGGMM
Surface Shaders and Motion Blur
on Aug 28, 2007 at 1:10:16 pm

I'm using a motion blurring technique I was told "the pros" use to offset mental ray's tendency to go real slow in that department. But something's not working.

The technique, as I understand it, involves rendering out the animation (in this case a camera move) without any blurring, at a resolution 10% larger than what you'll eventually need.

That done, disconnect all shaders from the scene. Give them all a single surface shader. Into its out colour, put the unblurred image sequence "as projection" from the rendering camera's perspective. Render with full motion blur. No raytrace, no shadows, no final gather.

They say it's more accurate than 2D blurring, and faster than 3D blurring with mental ray.

And it is lightning fast. But no blur appears. None. As if motion blur was set to none. I can't figure it out. It's my first time using a surface shader for anything.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

SSGGMM
Re: Surface Shaders and Motion Blur (update)
on Aug 28, 2007 at 1:40:12 pm

There you have it. The surface shader has nothing to do with it. Motion blur simply won't work on any texture, procedural or not, with or without motion blur checked off in the render stats. Strange. I could swear mental ray USED to be able to motion blur.

Return to posts index

SSGGMM
Re: Surface Shaders and Motion Blur (solved)
on Aug 28, 2007 at 2:05:04 pm

My rendering camera's shutter angle was set to zero. I set it to 180 and got results.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Surface Shaders and Motion Blur (solved)
on Sep 8, 2007 at 5:23:56 am

That's a fascinating technique--where did you hear about it?

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]