FORUMS: list search recent posts

Installed New OpenType Fonts Maya 8 Won't See Them

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
basspig
Installed New OpenType Fonts Maya 8 Won't See Them
on Aug 26, 2007 at 7:02:21 pm

Due to the fact that Maya and trueSpace won't use Adobe postscript fonts, I've resorted to installing OpenType versions of these fonts.

I know that Maya 8 can see OpenType, because there were a few on the system initially that Maya could see and use.

I've installed about 250 OpenType fonts today, however, Maya is only seeing one of them, plus the old OpenType fonts that were initially present. About a dozen or so typeface families are not accessible to Maya.

Adobe PhotoShop can see all the OpenType fonts that I installed. So can NotePad. I would think these fonts would be available to all applications running under Windows XP.

Maya only has about a dozen fonts in its font menu, and most of them are things like console fonts (OpenType) and a few truetype fonts. All the typographic design fonts, except Palatino (OpenType) are not visible and inaccessible to Maya. Out of 250 fonts installed (over a dozen typeface families) only ONE of them became available to Maya.

I've googled this problem and found nothing.

What factors would prevent an application from using fonts that should be available to all applications?

Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

http://www.basspig.com The Bass Pig's Lair - 15,000 Watts of Driving Stereo!
http://www.mwcomms.com
http://www.adventuresinanimemusic.com

Return to posts index

basspig
Re: Installed New OpenType Fonts Maya 8 Won't See Them
on Sep 7, 2007 at 3:30:07 am

Yes, that's correct, but then it is necessary to extrude the outlines and put caps on both ends, which is what I was doing in Maya 6. Maya 8's new tools for creating text are so much faster and the quality is way better, and the objects it creates don't fall apart when animated. If Maya could see more than the 28 or so "utility" fonts in the system, it would be an ideal logo animating system.
There has GOT to be a way to see the rest of the fonts.

Return to posts index

Basspig
on Sep 8, 2007 at 10:20:18 pm

A while back, I posted about the problem Maya 8 is having with seeing my large collection of Adobe fonts. I added some OpenType fonts later on, seeing that Maya could see SOME OpenType. But I Maya only sees 38 fonts total, including Times New Roman and Ariel, and a bunch of Arabic fonts and a lot of "dupicate" bitmap style fonts.

To make matters more confusing, a Google search on the problem talks about Maya working with PostScript fonts on Linux. Maya can read PostScript fonts?! That's news to me on the Windows XP platform!

At any rate, someone suggested to me that I just do my text in Illustrator, so I opened Illustrator CS3 and created my text and then tried to import it into Maya and was greated with "unsupported format". I then saved it as a CS2 file. Same thing. Then just CS. Same thing. In fact, the error persisted until I saved to a legacy Illustrator 3.0 format. Maya stopped complaining, however, what imported was just a rectangle--with no text!

It looks like Illustrator is not going to solve the problem either.
Ultimately, I need to figure out why Maya is the ONLY application on the system that cannot see the 900 or so installed Adobe fonts. Even Notepad can see and use all the fonts!

Out of desparation, I tried saving from Illustrator in DWG and also DXF formats. All of these files were unablet to import in Maya "error loading file" on the status line.

Scratching head on this one...

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Sep 10, 2007 at 1:41:12 pm

Not sure why Maya doesn't see the fonts--try exporting from Illustrator as .eps, maybe? Usually the Illustrator 8 format works, as far as I know. Maybe try fiddling with the export settings.

Sorry I can't be of more help--good luck.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Darren
on Sep 13, 2007 at 8:37:45 pm

make sure you convert text to outlines in illustrator...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]