FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maya on a Macbook Pro?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Dugan
Maya on a Macbook Pro?
on Aug 16, 2007 at 1:32:29 am

Anyone have thoughts on working on a new intel 17" Macbook Pro with 4 gigs of ram, 160 gig HD and 7200 rpm processor?

I am hoping/planning on moving from an older G5 tower to a more mobile situation.
What are the upsides and downsides?

I will be using Premiere Pro, After Effects, Maya and Photoshop.
Most of my work is short format under 5 minute pieces but maybe a possible longer piece here and there. All for DVD and web delivery.

Thanks

Brian

Return to posts index

magyar9
Re: Maya on a Macbook Pro?
on Aug 26, 2007 at 3:20:47 pm

Hello Brian,

I think overall you should be pleased with it.
When the first version of Maya for the Mac came out, I ran it on a 17inch G4 with about 1GB Ram. For all intents and purposes it ran fine.

So you probably will love it on these new macs!
Of course, rendering is an issue of its own - but something that you may want to ask around more about in considering your purchase.

Hopefully someone with a fresher view than mine will give you some insight on this also - enjoy!

Peace

Return to posts index

Brian Dugan
on Aug 26, 2007 at 3:57:59 pm

Thanks! I am planning on going to the mac store again today to take the plung... lot's o' money

Return to posts index

magyar9
on Aug 26, 2007 at 4:12:37 pm

Brian, just wanted to add another thought.

The only part about 'mobile' that really has affected me the most are:
- renders
- never enough harddrive space (internally)

I noticed some of the other packages you had, which included a video app...
Having done quite a bit more video than 3d, I can say I was always impatient with rendering on a laptop. (again, this was with a G4, 17 inch laptop and Final Cut.)

The main problem is not that laptops cant render well, but if you have been used to the speed you get with a tower and more importantly a video card added to it (such as cinewave...I know, outdated by a couple years)...but the point is the novelty of a portable station can soon fade, and having it can become quickly annoying if you have been used to 'quick' edits with DVCPRO 50 material on your 'souped up' tower, and see that DV is rendering slowly in comparison on your laptop.

Again, a lot has to do with your perspective and what your used to in regards to speed, etc. - this plays a huge role in how the system will ultimately 'work' for you if you see where Im coming from.

Well, I hope the best for you either way

Peace

Return to posts index

Brian Dugan
on Aug 26, 2007 at 5:23:18 pm

The novelty... that is a big question for me.
I have always worked at a stationary system.
I don't do too much video or animation longer than a few minutes but that may change.

My work situation is a little in flux.
I have been working at home for many years, ocassionally sitting in at a client's which gets me out of the house if you know what I mean. I am starting a Masters Defree program in a few weeks (to teach one day)) and would like to be more flexible with where I work to avoid cabin fever.

I have to upgrade to the pentium processor for the whole Adobe suite to work (Premiere, Encore and Soundbooth. So I gotta buy something ether way. I'm just antsy to not be stuck at my home/studio....

Thanks a lot for your thoughts it's real helpful to talk it through.
Brian

Return to posts index

magyar9
on Aug 26, 2007 at 5:34:17 pm

Totally understand.
My first mac was a tower (a whopping 1GB harddrive)
I remember having to tote it and the 17" monitor to different 'freelance' jobs.
(cramming the elevator door open with a monitor while I put in the tower, etc. As you can tell this was right before laptops could even run photoshop, etc.)

After that experience I vowed to never get a tower again...(with the fact I moved quite a bit) and have been 'laptop' oriented ever since. (with the exception that the last place I worked we had some nice towers that I did get 'spoiled' with using.

Anyway, seeing more what you are looking at getting out of it and what you will be using it for, it sounds like you will really enjoy your purchase...

Again, the best to you - after you have 'broken it in' let us know your thoughts.
(its about time for me to update from my powerbook to something else...was thinking about imac due to larger screen-size... its sorta portable. lol - my powerbook is 15" (old work one was 17" which was nicer to work with)

Peace

Return to posts index

Brian Dugan
on Aug 26, 2007 at 5:45:53 pm

Pretty funny jamming the monitor in the elevator door!
I dragged around an Intergraph tower (really big and bulky) in the late nineties
with a little handtruck.

I know I've thought of those imacs too. Nice and compact with a great size screen.
Just need a matching suitcase...

I can just see me setting up an iMac at Starbucks now!

Return to posts index

Brian Dugan
on Aug 27, 2007 at 2:16:55 pm

So now I am actually changing my mind...
The iMac 24" looks like a winner.
Very powerful and actually cheaper than the Macbook Pro!
The 2.4 GHz with a 320 gig hard drive and 4 gigs of ram.

I have a 12" older mac book if I REALLY need to get out.
And like you said the iMac is 'kinda' portable.
With a wireless keyboard and mouse all you need is an outlet-one plug does it!

Return to posts index

magyar9
on Aug 27, 2007 at 6:49:10 pm

sounds cool - the imac really does look pretty impressive with the 24" screen -

the only complaints I have heard about it is the graphics card, but Im not sure the laptops have that much better of a graphics card to really make a difference.

also, they are not mat screen, but gloss.
But that really is a personal issue as some people dont mind.
For me, I will have to go down to my local apple store (3 hours away) and play with it some and try to recall the days i used CRT monitors to see if the gloss display is fine or not for my usage.

One thing that Im thinking the imac will solve is heat...in comparison to the laptops.
The coolest laptop was 'pismo' (G3?) after that the laptops from apple get rather hot eaisly.
So, again, with more space in the imac, this may help the heat issue...so in a way the imac as it currently is kind of gives you the best of both worlds (tries to anyway) of portability and desktop functions. (though some will rightfully argue its not close enough to either. ;-)

Peace

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]