FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scalable glow

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
AdamMc
Scalable glow
on Aug 10, 2007 at 9:17:29 pm

Hey everyone,

Im fairly new to maya and just getting to grips with it (lots of fun, if a little frustrating at times) and iv got a couple of things i cant work out so i thought id ask here.

Im creating an earth with atmosphere. I followed an earlier posts description of how to create the atmosphere, here is what they described:

"A quick recepe would be:
Create a lambert.
Make it Atmosphere blue.
Create a ramp.
Open ramp.
Change "Type" to V Ramp.
Have only 2 color swatches. Top one white bottom one black.
Connect ramp.outColor to lambert.transparency
Create sampler info node.
Connect samplerInfo.facingRatio to ramp.vCoord.

Duplicate your planet sphere. Make it slightly bigger (not much 0.5 % o something like that).
Assign the lambert material to the duplicated planet sphere.
In the attribute editor under special effects have the halo lambert glow a bit.

That should get you started."

So that looks great but the glow effect it creates doesnt scale as you get closer to the planet. Is there any way to create a scalable atmosphere?

Thanks!
Adam

Return to posts index

AdamMc
Re: Scalable glow
on Aug 10, 2007 at 9:23:19 pm

Also, For the starfield in the background i have created a bigger sphere, inside which the earth and cammera etc. is. I was just wondering if there was a better way of doing this as i can see running in to problems when doing a distant zoom in to the planet (or is it just a case of making a bigger sphere?).

Thanks again.
Ad

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Scalable glow
on Aug 11, 2007 at 3:55:28 am

In terms of scaling the glow, the problem might be the 'auto exposure' setting on the glow. Try turning that off--you will probably have to tweak the glow after that to get the effect you want, but it should scale more consistently.

As for the star field, a large sphere will certainly work, but you should also look into 'image planes' and 'environment shaders', which are designed to serve as backgrounds for your scene without ever interfering with objects in it.

Good luck!

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]