FORUMS: list search recent posts

transform to spherical map

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
devasan
transform to spherical map
on Jul 30, 2007 at 9:12:47 pm

I need to apply a few different flat maps to a sphere, and then output the whole thing as a spherical image map (platte carre projection). Is this possible in Maya? Or other software?

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: transform to spherical map
on Jul 31, 2007 at 3:51:35 am

Yes, this is easily done. Place the maps on a NURBS sphere using a layered texture, for example, then convert to file texture to save out the results.

Post again if you need help with the details.

-Steve

Return to posts index

devasan
on Jul 31, 2007 at 4:37:49 am

I would be purchasing Maya for this job... (big job)

That is why I need to know for sure it can do this before plunking down the time and cash

So Maya can transform a flat map into a spherical projection?

Can you give me the steps? Then I can look for a local shop selling Maya and go make a test and if it works as I need, then I can purchase from them. The local shop does not know the answer to this question.

Thanks muchly

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Jul 31, 2007 at 2:33:31 pm

It would be very awkward to try to give you instructions to follow if you're not already familiar with Maya, so instead I created a small example for you. Have a look at these screenshots:

This is a screenshot of a sphere object with a wood texture applied to it. I used wood because it's quick and easy for this demo, but the texture could be made up of any number of elements applied or projected using different methods, mixed and layered as you see fit. Maya's shading engine is powerful and flexible.

This is the result of using the 'Convert to File Texture' tool. That wood texture has now been flattened out in a platte carre projection, as you can see. Is this what you're looking for?

All that being said, it seems to me that if this is the only task you need to accomplish, purchasing Maya will be overkill. I'm sure there is simpler, cheaper software out there that will be able to do the same thing--maybe do a bit more research?

Hope that helps,

-Steve

Return to posts index

devasan
on Jul 31, 2007 at 8:02:56 pm

Thanks very much for your time. That is indeed what I would need.

So far I have not found any software that can do this. This is not to say it is not out there, but it is rather hard to find the information that this specific task is possible for a given software. The budget is large enough it might just be worth our while to use what is most expedient.

I am a quick learner and I am familiar with C4D and 3d software in general. Given that, how long do you think it would take for me to learn to do this specific task in Maya?

Thanks again for your efforts and prompt replies.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Jul 31, 2007 at 8:29:04 pm

Hmm, well, I hope someone else can chime in if there's a better choice of package for you--I don't have a wide range of experience so I'm no help. I will say one thing: if you do purchase Maya, make sure you buy Complete (which is not complete), NOT Unlimited. Unlimited is several times the price with (for you) no advantage.

You should be able to pick up what you need in just a few days, so long as you post here and/or are able to get some one-on-one training with someone. The topics of interest to you are textures, shading networks, layered textures, texture projection, and so on. Most of your work will be done in a window called Hypershade.

When you're ready for output, the tool to create the output file is the 'Create File Texture' tool, I think (I don't have Maya open right now).

Good luck,

-Steve

Return to posts index

devasan
on Aug 17, 2007 at 4:11:30 pm

Hi Steve,

We did not find anything else that can do this, and the project has a big enough budget so we purchased Maya. It will be useful for other work in the future besides this job so it is a good long term investment.

Now I am rushed to learn Maya enough to complete this task in the next few days (egads!)

I am stumbling around trying to follow your earlier instructions. I need some help! any guidance would be much appreciated... thanks

Return to posts index

devasan
on Aug 17, 2007 at 6:32:35 pm

I might get this figured out before you or anyone else responds, but then again, maybe not!

:-)

I figured out how to convert to texture file. Now I need to figure out how to apply 2 texture files to a single object using an alpha as a stencil and be able to output the whole thing as one platte carre projection file.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Aug 18, 2007 at 5:02:52 am

Okay, let's see if we can get you through this.

The steps you are going to need will involve the following tasks (I'll try to use Maya-specific terminology so that you can search relevant topics in the help files):

1. Create a NURBS sphere.
2. Select the default material node, lambert1. View it in your attribute editor.
3. Map the incandescence of lambert1 with a Layered Texture.
4. Map one layer of the Layered Texture with the first file.
5. Tweak the place2dTexture node of that first file to position the image appropriately.
6. Create a new layer in the Layered Textures and map it with a second file.
7. Tweak the place2dTexture node of this second file as well, to position it.
8. Convert the result to a single texture file.

The window that you will use to select and navigate your materials and file texture nodes is called the Hypershade. An important button in this window is the Input/Output Connections button.

The window where you make changes to your settings is the Attribute Editor. Finally, the textures can be positioned and manipulated visually in your perspective view if you use Interactive Placement.

Now, all of this being said... if you're pressed for time and the project has a decent budget, you could hire someone *cough cough* from the COW to throw together a simple scene that you can start with, so all you have to do is select the appropriate images and then save the results! :)

Good luck either way,

-Steve

Return to posts index

devasan
on Aug 18, 2007 at 8:30:06 pm

Hi Steve,

I am rushed and have to have a sample for the client by the end of this weekend, so if you are interested in creating a sample file for me, email me at

drdartist@riseup.net

thanks for your help in any case...
deva

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]