FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shatter Effect Fails

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
zenozeno
Shatter Effect Fails
on Jul 20, 2007 at 6:11:44 pm

When applying a Solid Shatter to a basic 6-faced poly cube (with History deleted), the calculation fails, and there are holes in the original shape where the Shatter effect did not finish. Additionally, I get the following error message:

"// Error: Cannot perform boolean operation"

This is the "failed" shatter:

http://www.5050film.com/maya/shatter.jpg

Here are the values for the Solid Shatter . . . I believe it might be related to my high Shard Count, but I need the detail . . . any suggestions how can I can work around this issue?

Shard Count: 500
Edge Jagginess: 0.1
Seed Value: 0

Post Operation: Rigid Bodies with Collisions Off

Remove Int Polys, Triangulate Surface, Apply Int. Material = OFF

Original Surface: Delete

Verbose Mode = OFF

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Shatter Effect Fails
on Jul 20, 2007 at 6:49:12 pm

Try starting with a shard count of 5, then split each of those into hundred. If the shard count is really what's responsible, that might work.

Maybe scale is an issue, too? Maybe the shards are getting too small because of the high count? Try enlarging your object before attempting.

Those are wild guesses, but I hope one of them helps.

-Steve

Return to posts index

zenozeno
on Jul 20, 2007 at 7:57:35 pm

Hi Steve,

Good idea, however I already tried that, and I don't think the shatter effect likes to be used on geometry that's already been shattered. For some reason, trying to shatter geometry that's already been shattered once returns the following error:

// Error: If you want to shatter shardShape2, please first do Edit | Delete By Type -> History. //
// Error: An error occurred while running the Solid Shatter script. Results may be invalid. If necessary, undo to restore the previous situation. //

The history was deleted on the "new" first set of shattered pieces (8 pieces), but the error message seems to suggest that Maya thinks the pieces have "history" attached to them from the 1st shatter that prevents it from running the shatter effect a second time . . .

Any other ideas?

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Jul 20, 2007 at 10:27:00 pm

I know that error well: when I have seen it, it arose because I'd told the Shatter effect to apply an interior material to the shards.

When you do that, it creates an incoming connection that acts like a history node and confuses the script when it tests for history at the very beginning. This is obviously an unfortunate limitation in the programming; the test for history simply counts the number of nodes and doesn't distinguish between a modelling history node (like a bevel or split) and a rendering node (like a shading set).

(Then again, maybe there's a good reason for not shattering something that has two different materials applied to it: now that I think about it, I don't think the script keeps track of the material applied to each poly when it starts, so that would make it difficult to be consistent when shattering an already-shattered shard. I guess it wouldn't really be a problem if the error message was more accurate.)

Now, your original post said you had turned the interior material OFF, but perhaps when you tried to shatter the object into 8 pieces you had left it on, and only turned it off when trying the 500-shard version?

If not, then I'm short on other ideas... maybe post your scene file as an ASCII and let others take a look?

-Steve

Return to posts index

Gyeongchan An
on Jun 18, 2015 at 9:14:28 am

Have you tried Freeze Transformation for the object ?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]