FORUMS: list search recent posts

Filter in MR switches without being told

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
SSGGMM
Filter in MR switches without being told
on Jul 13, 2007 at 2:15:26 am

Has anyone had this experience? It happens to me systematically. I select a mitchell filter in mental ray, set it to 4 and 4, I leave the render settings, I come back, suddenly the mitchell is set to 1 and 1.

There are no exceptions. It happens as if it were programmed to do just that.

Is there a patch out there? Or at the very least, an explanation? I'm on 8.5. Maya 7, apparently, doesn't do this.

Thoughts?

Return to posts index

SSGGMM
Re: Filter in MR switches without being told
on Jul 14, 2007 at 2:04:18 pm

I can't believe nobody else has come across this (mental ray 3.5.6.7).

Multi-Pixel Filtering reverts back to its default filter size of 1x1. Systematically. A real punch in the gut after a 50+ hour render.

Here's more: When I open the "miDefaultOptions" node in the attributes editor (found in the Outliner after unchecking DAG objects) the Sampling Quality clearly indicates my chosen filter size of 4x4. Unlike the Render Settings.

What am I to assume? Did the render go down as planned?

Any help is appreciated. Heck, I'll even take sympathy. No, information is better.

Thanks - S.

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
on Jul 14, 2007 at 5:45:34 pm

I was talking with another fellow who upgraded to 8.5 recently, and he also mentioned this problem. He told me the way he got around it was to keyframe the settings (ugh). Might want to give that a whirl and see if it sticks. (Don't have 8.5, so can't confirm if this works or not)
-Chad

Return to posts index

SSGGMM
on Jul 14, 2007 at 8:08:00 pm

I read that too recently. But for the life of me, I can't figure out how to keyframe the sampling parameter.

How about a hint?

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Jul 15, 2007 at 3:38:46 pm

Another suggestion (shot in the dark) would be to see if there's a render command line option to change the setting (I imagine there must be), and force it at render time.

(This problem is somewhat reminiscent of the fact that you can choose 'mental ray' as your renderer in your render options, and save the scene, but when you render it from the command line, it will default back to the software renderer. You have to force the change with the "-r mr" flag/argument in the command line.)

Not a guaranteed fix, but I'd say it's worth a shot.

And you have our sympathies, too. :(

-Steve

Return to posts index

SSGGMM
on Jul 15, 2007 at 6:46:07 pm

I mentioned earlier in this thread that, while my render settings were indicating that the filer size had reverted back to its default setting, the very same filter setting under the attributes editor had remained unchanged.

I did a few comparative tests on a shadow pass. It appears as though the AE is the one to trust. I sincerely hope a beauty pass would not differ in its conclusions.

And for all those who have not upgraded to 8.5 (i.e. those of you who have no idea what I'm moaning on about), my humble opinion is that mental ray is faster this time around. Noticeably faster. Even motion blur.

If anyone thinks differently, please share.

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
on Jul 16, 2007 at 12:07:33 pm

I think you can just rick click on the text lable for the attribute in the render globals and say "set keyframe" like you do for attributes in the channel box.

Return to posts index

SSGGMM
on Jul 16, 2007 at 12:49:26 pm

If only... No such menu appears. The way to do it seems to be to select the entire "miDefaultOptions" node in your Outliner and hit "S" on the keyboard.

You have to uncheck "DAG Objects Only" in the Outliner to see it (under Display).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]