FORUMS: list search recent posts

What exactly is my scene's "dimension"?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
SSGGMM
What exactly is my scene's "dimension"?
on Jul 5, 2007 at 7:27:13 pm

There's a Final Gather rule of thumb when setting min/max radius: "Generally, enter a value that is 10% of scene

Return to posts index

mYthprod
Re: What exactly is my scene's "dimension"?
on Jul 6, 2007 at 10:02:02 pm

I may be wrong but when I hear scene's overall dimension I think boundary - where your 3D stuff starts and stops. If they're talking about rendering they may mean the dimensions of your renders (what resolutions).

- MythProd
(John David Hutton)

Return to posts index

SSGGMM
on Jul 7, 2007 at 2:07:23 pm

That tends to be my inclination as well. But because the word "dimension" is placed in a Final Gathering context (which is entirely view dependent), uncertainty abounds.

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Jul 8, 2007 at 10:10:08 pm

It does mean the dimension of your entire scene in 3d space. Final Gather is screen space dependent, but it is still mimicking real world light physics, which is spatial. Anyway, that rule of thumb is only a starting point for tweaking the values to suit your scene and geometry.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Jul 9, 2007 at 1:37:01 am

To expand slightly on Sean's point: part of Final Gather's process is to 'look' outwards from each point on each piece of geometry and 'see what it sees,' basing part of the shading calculations on that (points that 'see' a lot of darkness will be extra dark, while points that 'see' a lot of light will be extra bright).

This means that the calculations must respond to things which are outside the camera's present field of view in order to accurately reflect the behaviour of light in the scene. If this were not the case, imagine what would happen as the camera narrowed its viewing angle: elements that had previously been in view would leave it, and their effects on the remaining visible geometry would no longer be calculated. This would produce significant 'pops' as whole areas of light and shadow changed (like suddenly removing the side of a box will change the lighting pattern on objects within it).

So yes, you must take your entire scene into account. I imagine there might be exceptions to this, such as with a very dense, convoluted mazelike model where no two line-of-sight components were very far apart; you could probably treat that scene as having a much smaller effective scale. That's just speculation on my part, though.

-Steve

Return to posts index

SSGGMM
on Jul 9, 2007 at 2:55:59 pm

You write well, Steve. Always a pleasure.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]