FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion Paths and Dynamics

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcow
chrisyoung_71
Motion Paths and Dynamics
on Jul 3, 2007 at 2:26:53 pm

I'm working on shot for a short film that has a tank moving over a large sand dune. I would like to be able to use a curve on a transformed plane to control the animation via motion path. I would also like for "tracks" to be left in the sand as the tank passes over the plane. I am able to simulate this using active/rigid bodies by making the plane a soft body, drving the tank using a uniform field and making the two objects collide. Unfortunalely I cant seem to figure out how to maintain the effects of the motion path which allows for the tank to stay planted on the plane as it moves over the simulated dunes. I'm looking for an easy solution that would allow for me to keep the motion and add a dynamic relationship between both objects. I was thinking that I might be able to parent a non-renderable active object to the tanks that would simulate the tracks as the tank passed over the motinon path *OR* perhaps attach a particle to the tank that could collide with the softbody as the tank passed over it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you need any more information.

Best,

Chris
MAYA 8.5 (unlimited)

Return to posts index

mYthprod
Re: Motion Paths and Dynamics
on Jul 8, 2007 at 3:37:14 am

Can it be done in a compositor? 2 passes out of maya, one with tracks and one without? I don't mean to oversimplify it, I'm not sure what camera angles you need.

- MythProd
(John David Hutton)

Return to posts index

chrisyoung_71
Re: Motion Paths and Dynamics
on Jul 8, 2007 at 3:28:29 pm

Thanks John. I actually figured out a way to do it after a bunch of experimenting. I can keep my object mapped to a motion path and then group that object and apply the active rigid body to the "group". Then I connect the original object (in the group) to the soft body with "make collide" and the deformation to the particle surface can still ocurr (driven by the motion path animation!)

Here's the example:

http://www.chrisyoung.com/movies/sand_tracks_test1-H.264.mov

Best,

--cy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]