FORUMS: list search recent posts

Automate Bouncing Balls

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bayol05
Automate Bouncing Balls
on Jun 27, 2007 at 5:09:19 am

Hey guys,

I am working on a project and I need to create a LOTTO glass cylinder with balls bouncing around inside. I'm wondering if there is any dynamics solution to getting about 10 or so balls to bounce around inside something completely automatically without me having to keyframe them. Any advice?

Return to posts index

SSGGMM
Re: Automate Bouncing Balls
on Jun 28, 2007 at 2:57:08 am

Wish I knew more about them, but read up on particles. Might be just what you're looking for.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Jun 28, 2007 at 11:44:41 am

The problem with particles is that they cannot collide with each other. So the balls will pass through each other freely. It is possible to cause a particle object to emit a field which affects itself, making particles push each other away when they get too close, but I don't know how convincing that would be in this case.

I tried a test with ten rigid body spheres but didn't achieve good results; it's a LOT of collisions to track. Then again, I'm on Maya 7... perhaps one of the later versions has a more robust solver.

Sorry I don't have anything better to offer. :(

-Steve

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
on Jun 29, 2007 at 3:50:22 am

Couldn't you use the 10 rigid bodies and lower the mass (so the spheres act like ping pong balls) and throw in a tubulence field? Is the problem getting the pc to process the series of collisions before you run out of RAM? Does the size of the scene make a difference?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]