FORUMS: list search recent posts

particles, instances, and the absence of evidence

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TheCynic
particles, instances, and the absence of evidence
on Jun 26, 2007 at 5:13:18 pm

Hello,
I am doing a scene with particle emitters. To make the 36 separate emitters I need, I made one emitter, styled, and animated it, and then I instanced it to create the other 35 emitters.
In the workspace, I can see all the emitters working identically(there is an outline of bubbles flowing from each emitter). However, when I render only the initial emitter is visible. Also it appears to be more opaque as if all 36 emitters were stacked on top of one another. I don't get it.
Any ideas on how to make this work or how to do it better?

Thanks,
David

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: particles, instances, and the absence of evidence
on Jun 26, 2007 at 7:04:08 pm

Hi, David.

I'm not sure whether or not it's a good idea to instance emitters. What kind of emitter are you using? If it's a point emitter type (omni or directional) then one thing you could do would be to create a NURBS circle with 36 CVs and make that object the emitter. You can move the CVs to wherever you like, hide the geometry, and the particles will emit from each of them using identical properties. This is a handy way to emit from multiple discrete sources. You don't need to use a NURBS circle--any collection of points will do (even another particle object).

If you emitter is a complex emitter, perhaps a surface emitter emitting from an object, you may be out of luck as far as instancing goes. From your description it sounds like the connections aren't appropriate for render time. I'd have to see the scene file to be sure.

Hope that helps,

-Steve

P.S. Your subject line WINS!

Return to posts index

TheCynic
on Jun 26, 2007 at 8:13:47 pm

Thanks Steve,
I'm using point emitter set to directional. The scene I am rendering is a piece of industrial machinery and I am shooting particles out of 36 nozzles simultaneously.
If I use a nurbs obect as my emitter, with that object be visible? I'll try a nurbs plane with the CVs stretched to my nozzles I'll give it a try and get back to you with results.

Thanks,
David

Return to posts index

TheCynic
on Jun 26, 2007 at 10:04:56 pm

Thanks Steve,
It took a little messing about to orient the direction of my particles, but I made it work. It streamlined my project a little and made my particles look more organic, since they are no longer carbon-copy clouds.
And, I just put the nurbs plane on a hidden layer to get it out of the final render.

thanks,
David

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Jun 26, 2007 at 10:23:15 pm

Sounds like a good solution, David. Glad it worked out.

Again, it's also possible to use a particle object (a non-dynamic one, in which the particles never go anywhere) as an emitter, too--and hiding it or just leaving its render type as 'hardware' will keep it out of the final software render. Your technique with the plane sounds like it worked fine--the only drawback is the extraneous geometry floating around your scene looking awkward (which is the advantage of using a particle object: it has no geometry except for the points).

The only thing I wasn't too sure about was the direction--did you need to get each nozzle spraying in a different direction? If so, what method did you use?

Cheers,

-Steve

Return to posts index

TheCynic
on Jun 28, 2007 at 1:02:34 pm

Hey Steve,
I needed the nozzels to all point down, and by default they were all shooting right. I just adjusted the emitter settings.

-David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]