FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fields rendering (MR)

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcow
SSGGMM
Fields rendering (MR)
on Jun 19, 2007 at 10:23:59 pm

I just realized that mental ray won't render fields. I shoulda looked this up sooner.

I'm rendering some architectural plates for compositing with some 29.97 interlaced live action footage. Some of it is pretty dynamic, lots of big, fast camera moves. Any way around this, or do I have to do it in AE?

Thoughts, ideas, trade secrets I'm not supposed to know about?

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Fields rendering (MR)
on Jun 20, 2007 at 12:02:11 am

I don't have a lot of experience working for video, but it seems to me that a workaround might be to render out with a setting of 0.5 for the 'By frame' common render setting. You'll get twice as many frames rendered out, and can treat the regular frames as upper field and the half-frames as lower, or whatever. Then you'd have to use AE to read in the alternating frames as alternating fields--not sure how to do that.

Of course this will produce twice as much data as is needed, since every pseudo-field will actually be a full frame; not sure if there's a workaround for that.

Hopefully there's a more elegant solution out there, but this is a brute-force approach that should work if nothing else suggests itself...

-Steve

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
on Jun 20, 2007 at 12:17:31 am

In theory Steve's .5 by frame thing should work i think, but i've never tried it. Easiest way i've found to render fields is to animate at 60fps, render out 60fps. Then make a 29.97 afx comp, put your 60fps footage inside, and when you render with fields from AFX, it should look silky smooth.
hope that helps.
-Chad

Return to posts index

SSGGMM
on Jun 20, 2007 at 12:40:07 am

The shots have already been animated at 30 fps, and at great pains (probably should have been done at 24fps, in retrospect - I'll have to figure out a way to skip each 5th frame in mental ray). But that's another bridge already burned to the ground.

I'll work on the 0.5 By. Many thanks.

Incidentally, anyone know if the renderman or 3Delight plugins handle fields?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]