FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maya to AE Import scale issue

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pyro
Maya to AE Import scale issue
by
on Jun 18, 2007 at 10:04:55 pm

I've been searching high and low to find a solution for the scaling issue upon import of MA to AE.

When you replace your nulls with clips they need to be scaled to 1% or so. This results in a lack of precision when manipulating these objects.

Can anyone explain a workaround or a link to a fix?

I have tried numerous things, such as grouping and scaling and freezing transforms, but I'm not winning so far.

Thanks for any advice. Also, for future searchers I used an implicit subject for this topic.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Pyro
Re: Maya to AE Import scale issue
by
on Jun 19, 2007 at 4:29:46 pm

Turns out this is far simpler than I thought.

Simply go to Preferences>Settings>Working Units and set it to 'Millimeters' before saving your .ma file out. It doesn't matter if you bake before or after setting world units.

The scale factor will be 10% less severe, obviously. So if you had to scale down to 1% before, you will only need to scale to 10% using mm's.

I tried grouping the scene to god group nodes and scaling the god group but that just made a messy comp in AE.

Is there a way to customize mm's or cm's to another unit or factor, for instance microns?

Hope this helps folks out there. It is certainly a missing step or side-note in all the tut's I've seen importing .ma's to AE.

Return to posts index

Pyro
Additional Info on this
by
on Jun 19, 2007 at 4:52:00 pm

I have a feeling as well, that many people neglect the importants of scale units. For instance in Maya, centimeters are the base unit for other things as well, such as particle behaviors and dynamics.

In matchmoving, world units and scale are critical bits of information that you need for a good evaluation.

In short, I have a feeling many folks with this problem are making scenes in Maya with an arbitrary unit system. For instance, if you make a building that is 10 units wide, Maya thinks that building is the size of Ham Sandwich. Thus when exporting that scene to AE the film back in AE seems tiny. Well, that's because that building is only 10cm wide. Maya's default modeling grid in the perp view is about the size of a dinner plate.

When you build to scale in Maya a human is about ~150 Maya default units tall (Centimeters). You have to set the Far Clip Plane attribute for the camera to 10000 or more units once you are actually building to scale, or few things may line up as you expect.

Hope this helps!

Return to posts index

ant mcgrath
Re: Additional Info on this
on Jun 20, 2007 at 5:05:35 pm

hi Pyro
great little thread - thanks for taking the time to post up your findings too - didn't think of changing world units in maya as I've had similar probs too in the past importing into AFX - nice work mate!

ant

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]