FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maya Crashes everytime I render a frame

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TheCynic
Maya Crashes everytime I render a frame
on Jun 18, 2007 at 8:23:12 pm

Hello,
I've been working on a very complex animation of an industrial manufacturing machine. It's an assembly line with rows of products being manipulated at each station as they move along a conveyor belt. On Friday, I was able to render preview frames of the machine, but today(Monday) Maya freezes every time. When I do a render using Maya software, it freezes and gives the message of "press ESC to Cancel." Maya Hardware functions, but it looks bad(not abnormally bad.. just typically hardware bad).
Maya vector also caused Maya to crash. And it produced a "fatal error."
I'd really like to use mental ray, but when I use that it only partially renders. After a couple of minutes, maya acts like it has finished the render despite the render window only showing a blocky portion of the final render.

Does any of this sound familiar? Any tips on getting around this?

Thanks,
David

Return to posts index

mYthprod
Re: Maya Crashes everytime I render a frame
on Jun 19, 2007 at 2:28:50 am

Try deleting your preferences (back them up to a different folder first) and let maya make new ones for you, maybe then it will render. My maya in past versions got really flaky at times and this fixed it.

- MythProd
(John David Hutton)

Return to posts index

TheCynic
on Jun 19, 2007 at 2:19:44 pm

John,
Thanks for your reply. I deleted the preference folder, and tried rendering again, but I got the same results. My CPU shot up to 100%, maya is using 557,284 K memory, but the program appears frozen. The frame isn't being rendered in small blocky sections in the render view, and below the time line there isn't a percentage done bar... just "Calculating... Press the ESC key to interupt calculation."
It's been in this state for about 10 minutes, so I am going to force-shut-down Maya and try again.
Oh, I also altered my project which had a lot of duplicated geometry. I replaced the duplicates with instances, which from what I understand reduces the strain of rendering. Despite this change, I still cannot render a single frame from this scene. Meanwhile, I can render other scenes just fine.
Any Ideas?

thanks,
David

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Jun 19, 2007 at 4:46:29 pm

Its time for the divide and conquer approach. First thing is create and try rendering through a new camera. Sometimes cameras can get corrupted and they break renders. Once its confirmed that the problem is not with the camera chances are something else in your scene is causing problems.

Try hiding everything in the scene and render. If that renders then chances are some geometry is causing the problem and you can use this technique to narrow down what is the geometric problem.

If you hide everything and still cannot get a successful render it may be some other garbage in the scene confusing maya. Try using File->Export All to a new scene file (be sure to check the options to ensure you keep things you need, like history and textures). Try rendering this new scene file it may or may not work.

If you reach this point and all this fails start exporting pieces of your scene and rendering those pieces, you may eventually come upon some section of the scene that is causing the break.

Troubleshooting is a tough job, take it one step at a time and do big obvious tests first before you get into real detailed testing.

Return to posts index

TheCynic
on Jun 19, 2007 at 5:29:21 pm

Hello,
I tried a similar approach and got some interesting results. One of the first things I did was delete all the unused shaders. By importing scenes into this scene the number of shaders was quite large. I also turned off ray tracing in the maya software render. And then I was able to render without problems. I was just using one directional light in the scene with the ray tracing, and I thought that could be causing problems. However, when I replaced the directional light with a spot light and attempted to render with maya software it crashed again.
On a brighter note, after deleting the unused shaders I found that I was able to use mental ray rendering again(with ray tracing). Mental ray worked very consistantly except in some wide shots. It did the thing where it only renders a blocky portion of the screen. Also despite mental ray renders completeing properly I get messages like this about several objects:
// Warning: (Mayatomr.Scene) : CapScrewer|pCube28|pCubeShape28: empty UV set map1 detected, ignored //
Since Mental Ray is my prefered renderer, perhaps I should just do previews with maya saftware renders(without ray trace), and then do my final render animation with Mental Ray.
As for trying a new camera, I am still in the modeling stages, so I have just been using the perspective camera.

To Summarize:
It seems like I've narrowed this down to a ray tracing issue in the Maya software rendering. Do you think that's a suitable conclusion, and if so is there a solution to the problem?

And what does the empty UV set warning mean and how can I fix that?

thank-you all,
David

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Jun 19, 2007 at 5:37:16 pm

it is possible that the raytracing in maya caused the problem. I would create a new camera anyway and try rendering through that. The perspecive camera can get corrupted, and since the perspective camera settings get constantly overwritten when importing multiple scenes its likely it could have been corrupted somehow.

As for test renderings, you might as well use mental ray if it works since thats going to be your target renderer for end of project.

As for the empty UV set error, this means that you have polygon models in the scene which have no UV information in the default UV set. This probably means textures are not viewable at all on these surfaces. You should use some form of UV projection tool on these models once you've completed modeling to get them to render correctly.

When you do finish all of your modeling I suggest breaking your models down into manageable chunks and referencing them into the scene rather than importing them. It makes it far easier to update a main shot with changes to models or textures later in the production process. Plus you can unload heavy parts of your scene that you aren't currently working with that way. Just be aware that you don't want to do modeling changes on a maya scene that has been referenced into your scene. Always do modeling changes in the scene that holds the model directly. This is why I say break it up after you finish modeling.

Return to posts index

Hugo Becerra
on Apr 26, 2013 at 6:48:51 pm

I've been searching for information regarding these frustrating crashes in 2013. I've encountered crashes a lot when using nurbs surfaces. I have to save every 1-2 minutes (very tediously annoying) or it's bound to crash (This is the only immediate work around I've successfully, yet annoyingly been able to apply).

I actually downloaded process hacker and Spy++ 8.x so I can take a look at these handles and I'll let you know what I find. Your post is the first post I've found anywhere online that gives some guidance as to how to kind of troubleshoot/track the root of all these crashes (Until now, I didn't even know how to track those handles or that Maya had a USER HANDLE of 10k limit). I knew it was related to the Qt implementation..but i'm no guru software programmer, just self taught enthusiast. Do you know why Maya creates so many QWidgets? I'm not very familiar as to how this Qt stuff works yet.

My system is running Windows 7 Ultimate. So I'll follow up with ya on this.

On a side note I also encountered the issue where the spacebar shortcut stops working randomly and I can't enter/exit a viewport via conventional shortcut unless I reboot Maya (all it shows is the Hotkey menu briefly). Anything you can tell me on that? I've tried the RMB click/check and every article I could dig up but none helped.

I also can't open any older scenes that I made using 2011 unless I remove 2013 and clean install 2011. The application just crashes over and over if I try opening old scenes in 2013.

*************************************************************************************

UPDATE:
Ok, so I've been running Spy++ v8.x & Process Hacker and I did notice that Maya is creating many QWidgets like you mentioned but I couldn't Figure out how to track/trace what happened to Maya when it crashed through either of those programs or see if it was exceeding the 10k USER HANDLES Limit you mentioned. Surely due to my lack of experience with these programs.

So I tried doing some more traditional troubleshooting, using the add/subtract approach to my scene and changed all types of settings/objects/configurations/etec I could think of to try different results. What resulted were numerous crash report's, .dmp's, .logs, & .xml's in the TEMP directory as well as a number of crash saves of the scene i had open at the time of the crashes, which saved as .ma (ASCII) instead of .mb (BINARY). So I went looking through the crash logs & the .ma's. In the crash logs i saw that its all these internal .dll's from maya that are being called into question. Mainly "RenderModel.dll" (access violation) when it's a rendering attempt crash (regardless of settings/renderer), "PolyUISlice.dll" (access violation) when it was a crash caused by some type of selection or insertion of geometry on polygonal objects, "IMFTIFF.dll" (access violation) when it was an attempt at applying a .tga texture onto a polygonal plane after having Photoshoped the file to include alpha masks/layers, "NurbsEngine.dll" (illegal instruction) when trying to select a NURBS surface after making random modifications to any of its components.

These were the only items I found in all of the logs (repeatedly) I had in my computer since the 1st time I started getting these crashes. They were all generated by the bug report tool in Maya at the time of the crashes. Something that really caught my attention, which brings me to believe it is NOT an issue with any given scene or its content is that on the last 5 attempts to just render the scene immediately upon opening Maya into the default blank scene we all get it too crashed and I checked the settings in the tools, rendering options, & performance settings and everything was in the default settings you would get upon launching the software for the 1st time. I even deleted all prior settings and tried importing/exporting scenes into new ones to replace corrupted cameras, shader nodes, etc. and it all came back to the same results. So I believe it has something to do with the Qt implementation end of the software and/or possible system memory access violations due to bad RAM or bad sectors on the hard disk.

Any feedback anyone can give on this is greatly appreciated as it seems Autodesk is in NO rush to fix this problem.

Return to posts index

Hugo Becerra
on May 1, 2013 at 3:58:41 pm

ok after more troubleshooting it seems I may have fixed the problem with my crashes. After installing Bitdefender Antivirus Plus, apparently it detected one of the files in the main “bin” directory had a virus infection so I let it delete it, then proceeded with the repair tool to reinstall the file and then reran the antivirus scanner to make sure nothing was detected again. Succeeded gracefully. Then I thought maybe there was a registry corruption so I ran CleanMyPC - Registry Cleaner on my system and it too found tons of registry errors/corruptions. Once that finished and I defragged/compressed the registry and rebooted, I ran Maya again and so far it has not crashed.
I hope this helps everyone out there experiencing crashes like this. Check your antivirus programs, repair/reinstall tool and your registry for corruptions.

Return to posts index

dino qiu
on Dec 16, 2014 at 5:33:40 am

I had exactly the same problem, and the way to fix it is acutally very easy:

Mesh->Clean up Opt->Nonmanifold geometry

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]