FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mental Ray Fatal Error????

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
accpph
Mental Ray Fatal Error????
on Jun 15, 2007 at 3:26:57 am

I have encountered a new problem. I am rendering out a file that uses sub-surface-scattering and hair. It's a human head so it has a lot of geometry. It was doing fine until I added the hair. Now it abborts the render. I get the following in my output window:

// Error: *Fatal* (mental ray) : mental ray encountered a fatal error. The system may have become unstable. Please save the scene and exit Maya. //
// Info (Mayatomr): Aborted //

Anyone know what this means and how I can save this?

ACC

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
Re: Mental Ray Fatal Error????
on Jun 15, 2007 at 11:41:19 pm

Its possibly a translation error. When you render with mental ray maya packages up the scene and feeds it to mental ray in a format that mental ray understands. This is called translation. I bet somethinig in the hair object is breaking during translation and causing instability. If it is just the hair at least you know what is broken. As to why, thats harder to answer.

I suggest monitoring the amount of memory used when trying to render. If you see any big spikes it could be that you're running out of memory.

You can also set the mental ray translation verbosity to level 4 5 or 6 and it will spit out far more information, hopefully helping you pin-point the reason.

Finally, you can export the hair out to a separate maya file and render the hair alone. Debuging the problem alone is much easier than with a ton of things in your scene.

Return to posts index

Nate Lane
Re: Mental Ray Fatal Error????
on Jun 8, 2008 at 12:23:34 am

I have the same exact error. All it says is:

// Error: *Fatal* (mental ray) : mental ray encountered a fatal error. The system may have become unstable. Please save the scene and exit Maya. //

any ideas? it froze a couple times the past couple days and so i had to cut the power, maybe something was lost that was needed to render? any ideas?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]