FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to model a huge stack of poker chips?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
muzzfuzz
How to model a huge stack of poker chips?
on Jun 14, 2007 at 10:39:54 pm

Hello -

I'm a newbie to Maya, and I'm attempting to build a big stack of poker chips. I started out by creating 26 cylindrical polygons, and then applying the same material to each polygon.

This first stack looks good, but I'm noticing that my preview render time is HUGE! What's worse is that I now need to duplicate this stack about 30 times to get the desired amount of chips. It's looking like if I go this route, rendering one frame alone will take about a year.

Anyone out there have any ideas on how to approach this project more efficiently? Is there a way to take the 26 polygons and turn them into just one polygon?

My guess is that there's a better approach out there.

Thanks in advance!!!

Muzz

Return to posts index

accpph
Re: How to model a huge stack of poker chips?
on Jun 15, 2007 at 3:36:59 am

Hey Muzz:

How many poly faces do the current 26 have? They must be pretty heavy if they're dragging down your render time.

To deal with it: 1 Yes you can go to Polygons (Module) and then go to Mesh>Combine. This will make them into one poly node but that doesnt guarante it will bring your render time down. It's how heavy the chips are, not how many of them there are.--Well it's that too.

2. You might want to create one chip and when duplicating duplictae special and make all the other ones instances. That supposedly will help bring your render time down too.

3. Also you can create chips of varying quality with just a few high-res chips up front with lighter and worse quality in the background and something medium in the middle.

If I think of anything else, I'll post again.

ACC

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
on Jun 15, 2007 at 2:27:07 pm

Tip #2 above will be a big timesaver if they are all indentical geometry. It's really the only feaseble way to render large numbers of polys in maya. Not only does it just save time rendering, but you don't use as much memory, so the render stands a greater chance of completing.
-chad

Return to posts index

muzzfuzz
on Jun 15, 2007 at 6:51:45 pm

Thanks, guys!

I duplicated the chip using instance, and that helped.

Also, digging through my render settings, I realized that Raytracing was on.

oops...

Muzz

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Jun 15, 2007 at 11:36:41 pm

Actually its a common misconception that instancing will speed up rendertime. It really doesn't. It will significantly reduce the amount of memory used. I think the speedup you are seeing is the actual tesselation time (maya will tesselate all geometry types into polygons, except poly's of course). the instancing allows maya to tesselate one chip and apply that tessellation to all of the chips that share its instance. When its rendering, its still rendering the same number of pixels and polygons though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]