FORUMS: list search recent posts

projecting type as shadows

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
robinyapockets
projecting type as shadows
on Jun 14, 2007 at 7:26:02 pm

Hey everyone,
hope someone could help me with this problem. I would like to project type onto a 3d object by using its cast shadows, however without reveiling the object itself. I want the projected shadows to to reviel the object. I tried changing the render stats, but as soon as i take primary visibility away from the 3d object, the received shadows arent correct. hope this makes sense. I appreciate any help i can get.

best,

Robin

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: projecting type as shadows
on Jun 14, 2007 at 10:18:04 pm

How about this: make it a black object and project the image of text into its transparency channel. Even though they're not technically shadows, the patterns would behave just like them.

Projecting white in most places will make most of the object completely transparent, and where the text exists (probably in grey) that would make it partially opaque, simulating the shadow.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
on Jun 15, 2007 at 5:02:45 am

If you're throwing the shadow from a distance, an easy way is to just position the light and text so it is off-camera (actually behind the camera) revealing only your target object with shadow cast over it. If it is a close-up shot, Steve's way is probably the best way.

I used this way to cast a shadow on a wall behind the object. The shadow basically was used as a title to name the object.

Return to posts index

Sean Fennell
on Jun 16, 2007 at 12:44:03 am

If your text and light are off screen, meaning you only see the projected shadow onto the object, then don't cast shadows at all. Texture map the color of your light with a black and white image of the text you want to project. Very fast, you can view it in the viewport without rendering and the quality stays very high.

Return to posts index

robinyapockets
on Jun 21, 2007 at 12:52:18 am

thanks everyone for you suggestions.

have been very helpful

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]