FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moving a maya project efficiently

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Flaxton
Moving a maya project efficiently
on Jun 6, 2007 at 1:04:34 pm

I need to move a maya project from one G5 to another. So far everytime I do this, texture file paths in the maya file remain paths from the old computer - is there a way around this or do I need to set up every texture individually (of which there are many !) Put otherwise - how do I move a project from one computer to another in the most efficient way.

Thanks in advance - Terry Flaxton

A long term DP - likes 35mm and HD equally - changing with digital media - Began as a commercials editor !

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
Re: Moving a maya project efficiently
on Jun 6, 2007 at 6:13:37 pm

Well, there are two ways to handle this. One, if the damage is already done, you can dowload FileTextureManager from highend3d. This makes relinking textures a breeze, and I have to use it a lot when i get projects from other studios.

Secondly, to avoid this in the first place, the maya project must be set up properly. When you make a new project it makes a file called workspace.mel where it stores the general paths for everything. Make sure you keep all your textures in the sourceimages folder, and you should be golden as long as you copy the entire maya project, with the workspace.mel file.

hope that helps
Chad

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Terry Flaxton
on Jun 7, 2007 at 6:52:18 am

Thanks Chad - as you can tell I'm a newbie...

A long term DP - likes 35mm and HD equally - changing with digital media - Began as a commercials editor !

Return to posts index

Chad Briggs
on Jun 7, 2007 at 6:56:27 pm

Good deal! DP's makes good layout leads :)
-chad

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]