FORUMS: list search recent posts

Modeling a white blood cell

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
TheCynic
Modeling a white blood cell
on Apr 30, 2007 at 9:35:43 pm

Hello All,
I am trying to model a white blood cell in Maya. It's basicly a sphere with random bumps on it. Here's a link: http://www.daviddarling.info/images/platelet.jpg

I've tried doing this so many different ways with no luck. I'd like to make the final semi-transparent This requires a really clean model without inner geometry. I've tried polygons but the the geometry gets all rigid and angular, I've tried using a texture map, but that doen't make it truely 3D. I've tried attaching nurbs, but failed at making that work. I also tried painting on eyeballs with paint effects (with the intention of painting over the eye-structures with white)... that failed for me too.

Any suggestions? Please keep in mind, despite working through a couple training books I still consider myself quite the newbie... So the more details you could give the better off I'll be.

Thanks,
Gnosis

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
Re: Modeling a white blood cell
on May 3, 2007 at 3:35:26 am

Have you tried Paint Effect (hair)? You could thicken each hair and make it more sparse than normal. Another thing with WBC's (like a lot of things in nature) the cilia (or whatever you call them) point in different directions. All of that is controllable with hair and fur. Experiment with it until you get close. That may be your best bet and a quicker solution.

Good luck.

Glenn

Return to posts index

TheCynic
on May 4, 2007 at 2:48:36 pm

Thanks for your reply. I wound up taking another route. I used a nurbs sphere with a fairly fine mesh as my base. I then randomly faces and scaled them out. I tweaked the points a bit until it looked right, and added a nice fractal for shading. With reduced opacity it came out looking pretty good.

-The Cynic

Return to posts index

Glenn Moore
on May 4, 2007 at 3:42:29 pm

Groovy. There's always another way, huh? Glad it worked out for you.

Return to posts index

Alex Eleneski
on Feb 10, 2011 at 7:07:01 pm

Can you please send me specific instructions for how you made the model? Or advise me on what can be done for that since I need to make an animation of the immune system for a project?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]